Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,043 Times in 1,442 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 886 Times in 153 Posts

I have been training for this years hunts really starting in July. I have this thing with training for specific hunts and then when the hunting season is over I slow down my training and go back to old bad habits.
    After the Nv Mt Goat hunt I was able to keep about 10 lbs off from that years training till this year so was a great thing for me. My job can be very physical so I do get some type of activity on a daily bases even when I'm not training.

I wear a fit bit and make sure I hit at least 12k steps per day. Each of those days will very on how I get those steps. One day I might only get 3k at work and when I get home I hit the treadmill for 45 min and the stair stepper for 20min. Another day which is what I prefer is go to the hills with a 20lb pack and get to hiking. 100 flights of stairs and a high heart rate for 1.5-2 hrs is what I feel best doing. Like Scott I will stop to catch my breath and glass. I too am not in my 20's and no longer race my hunting partners to the top. If I'm getting left behind I'm totally fine with that but trust me I will get there and feel good when I do.
    Sleep is huge! Drinking lots of water is huge! I also take supplements and fish oil to help with joints, keep me regular and honestly it helps me mentally to keep going when I want to give up.
    The mental game for me is my biggest adversary while doing hard hunts. I've learned that being in the best physical shape I can be in helps tremendously to my mental game.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 350 Times in 57 Posts
    Monday/Tuesday I did just shy of 20 miles to pack out my bull. Basically 80% of the hike in I gained elevation empty, so it was fairly easy on me, and I really felt great after. The ironic thing is I dislocated my hip a few years ago, and yesterday after I got done sitting at the table all day cutting and wrapping meat I could hardly move! Anytime I'm sitting for a long period of time, or bent over, the muscles in my lower back about lock up. A couple hours of ice, heat, and either ibuprofen or booze, I'm good to go! I'm getting on the elliptical today for a 30 minutes just to keep things loose. I inject exercise as needed in my life, I have a 7 and 9 year old kids that I stay very active with, along with my job being pretty physical, I don't need to do a lot to prepare.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    WOW! My wife talked me into going to the chiropractic, and I just got back. I think he said my SI joint was out. Couple minutes, and I feel like a new man!

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,195 Times in 1,514 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 257 Times in 103 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by go_deep View Post
    WOW! My wife talked me into going to the chiropractic, and I just got back. I think he said my SI joint was out. Couple minutes, and I feel like a new man!
    I might need to start doing that. My wife speaks really highly of her results.
    https://www.eastmans.com
    https://blog.eastmans.com
    https://www.wingmen.us
    https://www.instagram.com/eastmanshuntingjournals/

Thanks
    Thanked 1,294 Times in 839 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 600 Times in 82 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I went for years... Had back trouble all through my 20s. Once I started buying really good shoes, all of my problems stopped completely. I haven't been in 9 years. I am convinced that shoes that don't support you properly can really cause bad issues with your back.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    I'm sold. I honestly was in horrible pain, almost as bad as when I dislocated my hip. I still can not believe how great I feel!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12