Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 112 Times in 30 Posts

Favorite camp meal

What is the one meal you look forward to in hunting camp? The one that is always in camp? And the one you least expected?

Fav is chicken and sausage gumbo
    Always is ham hocks and beans
    Least expected was fresh grilled tuna steaks

Im camp cook and looking for ideas
    Thanks

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    One of my favorites is Fresh venison heart (chicken fried), fried potatoes w/onions and a green salad. I also like dried lima beans with ham hocks.
    My pet peeve is a cook who doesn't really know how to cook the fried potatoes & onions. Usually they dump the diced onions into the sliced potatoes when they start them. The potatoes will not brown up before the onions burn. Got to wait until the potatoes are getting brown , then add the onions...that will make a feast.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Favorite camp meal is deer liver and onions, I live for it. I have even been known to scavenge a fresh gut pile just to get the liver out of it.

Next would be fresh trout, which we usually catch the day before the hunts start. I always have a fishing pole with me whenever I am in the hills.

I also don't think that you can beat lima beans and ham hocks, a great camp meal that is easy to fix beforehand and then just warm up when you are ready. But don't forget the corn bread out of the dutch oven.

I am also a hunter of opportunity and will never turn down the chance to shoot a grouse if we come upon one while hunting. Even after I have filled my tag I'll pack a shotgun just encase a grouse or rabbit should show up withing range. Just last year we stopped along the road from one elk camp and shot 20 or so rabbits between 2 of us along with 5 chuckars. Now that was a good meal with them in the dutch oven with some cream of mushroom soup added.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 49 Times in 16 Posts
    I'll second the fried deer heart, but would add the tenderloin to that meal. I'm a big eater, especially while hunting hard. A good meal to take to camp is venison pumpkin curry served over rice. Just warm the curry and boil some minute rice and you're eating.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 112 Times in 30 Posts
    No limas here small whites or northerns for this okie

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 30 Posts
    Elk sloppy Joes
    spagetti with hot Italian deer sasage
    Pho soup with elk hart
    wild bore chorizo and egg breakfast burritos
    jalape?os stuffed with duck or dove ,grouse and wrapped with bacon
    rabbit smoked on the treger
    cast iron pot lasagna with ground deer meat
    cast iron pot duck onions potatoes carrots and fresh sage
    Trying like hell to live the dream,Nomad

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 42 Posts
    Favorite: Chicken and Dumplings. Prep/cook the soup base at home and freeze. Thaw heat up and mix the dumplings in camp and drop in.

Favorite: Caul fat meatballs. Make the meatballs ahead of time and freeze. Knock down an elk or deer and use that to wrap the meatballs in and cook.

Always: Burritos. Cook the taco seasoned meat at home and freeze. Meat, cheese, sour creme and salsa.

Least expected. chicken and sausage jambalaya ( Zatarain seasoning) and blackend redfish.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,787 Times in 1,259 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 778 Times in 131 Posts
    Antelope camp we have a pretty good set up. My favorite meal is Ribeye with garlic mashed potatoes. There is usually a salad and some vegetables to go with that but I don't like to waste room in my belly for that kind of stuff. Lol
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 100 Times in 27 Posts
    Deer camp in the East is a little different then your tent camps out West.. But some of my favorites:
    My dad's bbq chicken, takes him forever to grill it, but it is worth it. Delicious!
    My bbq brisket with cheesy potatoes - I work from home about 75% of the time, so I'll smoke a brisket all day, and get it prepared and ready to go for the weekend. Toss it in the oven for 30 minutes at 250 or so, and it tastes even better than fresh off the smoker!

Opening weekend of rifle deer season is a family event for us, wifes and moms and grandmas cook up a feast for lunch and dinner on opening day. Kinda makes it tough to stay in the woods all day. Our opening day menu is similar to our Thanksgiving menu. Ham, wild turkey, mostaccioli, green beans, cheesy potatoes, sweet potatoes, 10 different pies...
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chipped beef gravy or sausage gravy, biscuits, eggs, and potatoes with onions. Elk tenderloin, brown gravy, and fried potatoes

12. The Following User Says Thank You to jmwyoming For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast