Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 17 of 17
  1. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cascade, Colorado
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 190 Times in 141 Posts
    Congratulations
    169
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Shhhhhhh.......along the same lines........the willingness to hunt downhill and pack out uphill�� either on your back or with stock.
    Yeah, you're right ... I got a nice bull this year that way.
    However, most folks (me included normally) would prefer to hunt uphill and pack out downhill.

  2. #12
    Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Posts
    4,501
    Thanks
    374
    Thanked 2,558 Times in 1,176 Posts
    Congratulations
    42
    Congratulated 168 Times in 80 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Shhhhhhh.......along the same lines........the willingness to hunt downhill and pack out uphill�� either on your back or with stock.
    Here is the thing though on this one. Every hunter is looking for the easy elk and outside of the desert units, it is never an easy hunt. So, that being said.

    Most of the guys who are consistently posting have found the secret sauce recipe for elk. It's hard work, whether horses, packs, or whatever are needed. Lots of guys will read this and then think that sounds like a lot of work and that is fine. There are many reasons to hunt including just getting out there. Personally eating elk has become a regular affair in my home, which means I better get it done. Wipes brow...looks up hill, starts packing...
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

  3. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cascade, Colorado
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 190 Times in 141 Posts
    Congratulations
    169
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottR View Post
    Here is the thing though on this one. Every hunter is looking for the easy elk and outside of the desert units, it is never an easy hunt. So, that being said.

    Most of the guys who are consistently posting have found the secret sauce recipe for elk. It's hard work, whether horses, packs, or whatever are needed. Lots of guys will read this and then think that sounds like a lot of work and that is fine. There are many reasons to hunt including just getting out there. Personally eating elk has become a regular affair in my home, which means I better get it done. Wipes brow...looks up hill, starts packing...
    I hear ya!!
    I've been fortunate enough to get an elk for a few years in a row, so now my better half kinda "expects" me to get one each year ... oh boy:-)

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2016
    Location
    Gypsum, Co
    Posts
    2,042
    Thanks
    122
    Thanked 802 Times in 568 Posts
    Congratulations
    52
    Congratulated 191 Times in 42 Posts
    My first elk way back in the 70's was a 2 day pack out.

    Yes, I have had a couple of easy ones but 99% of them include a lot of sweat and sore muscles.

    Just mentioning a elk hunt usually means to break out the pack frames and get into that frame of mind that once you pull the trigger the easy stuff is all over for at least the next day or so.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

  5. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Woodland Park, Colorado
    Posts
    2,058
    Thanks
    618
    Thanked 864 Times in 557 Posts
    Congratulations
    230
    Congratulated 160 Times in 36 Posts
    Hard work and finding unpressured animals. Easy to type.....but few do it or are willing to put in the time.

  6. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cascade, Colorado
    Posts
    623
    Thanks
    467
    Thanked 190 Times in 141 Posts
    Congratulations
    169
    Congratulated 75 Times in 14 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    Hard work and finding unpressured animals. Easy to type.....but few do it or are willing to put in the time.
    Yes sir, finding unpressured animals IS hard work ... much easier said than done sometimes.

  7. #17
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks
    8
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Congratulations
    2
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Yes there really are as many hunters as everyone said. I hunted there 1st season last year (2017) and it was a regular pumpkin patch. If you go all the way out on the flat tops you can get away from the crowds sometimes, but if there is much snow on top the majority of the elk are down lower.

 

 
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •