Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 7 Posts

Cabelas Warranty Ethics

So questions about the Cabelas Lifetime Warranty came up in another thread.

My question is - How far do you take it, how to interpret a lifetime warranty, and when should you take advantage of it?

I have used it the last few years on boots, about every two years the gore-tex goes out. So I show up with the box and online invoice and swap them for a new pair. Could I use this same train of thought on paint coming off decoys or other scenarios? People unintentionally shoot their spotting scopes- send them to vortex/nikon/swor and they often are shipped a brand new one. In fact a couple factories take pride in their anything goes warranty and replace burned/ shot up optics and have happily replaced them for customers.

Am I wrong for the boot thing? Hows that different from the vortex scenario?

The warranty wording is "Cabelas brand products are guaranteed for the lifetime of the product against defects in workmanship under normal wear and tear."

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 7 Posts
    oops I meant to post this under clothing and footwear of the west- can it be moved?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Over all the years that I have been buying Cabels's branded clothing, boots, and equipment I have taken one pair of boots back to them. This was last year and I had worn the boots for 4 years and one side of a boot blew out. I personally thought that they this shouldn't of happen so I took them back in. The sad thing was that these boots were discontinued so I had to find a different pair that they are not nearly as comfortable.

I have had the philosophy that if I wear the product out then it is my problem. But if there is a defect such as the side blowing out on just one boot, the paint coming off of a decoy or other problems with other products that I will take it in for a replacement. It is their warranty and no one twisted their arm to write it up as it is so why not use it. I do know of some that abuse it but that is for another post.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 92 Times in 21 Posts
    I don't think it is ethical to just turn in boots worn for a couple years in for new ones since they wore out. I buy plenty of stuff at cabelas but never boots. I have had their waders, and like any other waders, after 3 years of abuse, sun, getting put in and out of the wader hanger; the ankle on a boot foot wader cracked and leaked. Never thought of taking them back.

What I would ask some of the boot guys (I have hunting buddies that have done the worn out boot and wader swaps) is if they properly cleaned, oiled, dried and cared for those boots as would be recommended for any boot. If not, then the worn out 2 year old pair of boots is not appropriate for return.

In general, these warrianties are to cover "defects in materials and worksmanship" not "you used and abused them, they wore out". It's for if the stitching that lets loose when the leather is still like new shape, or boots that leak the first season. It's a sad narrative they way some abuse (IMO) these warranties. I used to work at a St. Croix fishing rod dealer and the crap people would pull was repulsive. Slam the rods in car doors or toppers and bring them back in for new, decades old rods run over at the boat ramp and guys demanded brand new replacements. I think they don't allow OTC exchanges anymore. Some say they won't buy them anymore because of it, I say good for them.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to johnsd16 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 158 Times in 40 Posts
    Another store also offers lifetime warranty on their products, i tried to by parts for a pop up blind after a range bull flattened it and they refused to sell them to me. Said thats our name on it and its covered. New blind and loyal customer

Thanks
    Thanked 1,805 Times in 1,121 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 124 Times in 52 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    Over all the years that I have been buying Cabels's branded clothing, boots, and equipment I have taken one pair of boots back to them. This was last year and I had worn the boots for 4 years and one side of a boot blew out. I personally thought that they this shouldn't of happen so I took them back in. The sad thing was that these boots were discontinued so I had to find a different pair that they are not nearly as comfortable.

I have had the philosophy that if I wear the product out then it is my problem. But if there is a defect such as the side blowing out on just one boot, the paint coming off of a decoy or other problems with other products that I will take it in for a replacement. It is their warranty and no one twisted their arm to write it up as it is so why not use it. I do know of some that abuse it but that is for another post.

dang . you must not wear em much to last 4 years. I destroy at least a pair every year, regardless of the brand.
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

tolerance of the nation ,makes the nation an obamination !

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nv-hunter View Post
    Another store also offers lifetime warranty on their products, i tried to by parts for a pop up blind after a range bull flattened it and they refused to sell them to me. Said thats our name on it and its covered. New blind and loyal customer

most don't understand that lifetime warranty does not usually men lifetime of buyer, but instead lifetime of product.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 519 Times in 132 Posts
    I believe that some of the "lifetime" warranties are for public relations and reputation. Leupold & RCBS are 2 that come to mind immediately. They both repair/replace their products (usually for free), no questions asked. It's great advertising and keeps brand recognition out there where it counts.....and makes them $$$$. My Dad fell with his deer/elk rifle and broke the ocular lens in a 40 year old Leupold 6x scope. I sent it in for possible repair, they called me and asked about my Dad and the scope. I told them he use to have a gun shop and sold leupolds and had this for over 40 years. The said it couldn't be repaired, too old and damaged too bad. He got a new 3 1/2 x 10 VXIII no charge. Probably the cheapest advertising they can get!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kidoggy View Post
    dang . you must not wear em much to last 4 years. I destroy at least a pair every year, regardless of the brand.
    The boots that I took back were worn every day with quite a few miles on them.

I learned long ago to buy quality items and to take care of hem and they will last. My main pair of hunting boots are going on 5 years now and I still have a pair of boots that I worked in every day before I retired that are over 10 years old and still look close to new.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by JimP View Post
    The boots that I took back were worn every day with quite a few miles on them.

I learned long ago to buy quality items and to take care of hem and they will last. My main pair of hunting boots are going on 5 years now and I still have a pair of boots that I worked in every day before I retired that are over 10 years old and still look close to new.
    I don't believe my ethics would allow me to return a pair of boots I had worn every day for four years. regardless of what quality they were or how good I had taken care of them. I have never seen ,nor do I believe ,there is a boot that exists that is of such grand quality. the soles never even make it a year for me. but that's just me.

I have tried kenetrek, timberland, rocky, cabelas , I now buy danner pronghorns and they last as well as any I have tried and better then most. the kenetreks were good boots but didn't last much better then the pronghorns do , so I can't justify the cost.
    Last edited by kidoggy; 08-26-2017 at 10:38 AM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to kidoggy For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast