Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reload Newbie

Thanks
    Thanked 1,010 Times in 746 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 197 Times in 66 Posts

Reload Newbie

A lot of you guys have taught me a lot about guns and benefits of caliber selection and reloading over the past few years, both directly and indirectly, especially C.Cowboy and Tim McCoy. Thank you!

So,,,
    I finally got around to gathering my measurements on my Browning Long Range Hunter 7mmag. My rig is long throated, thus opens up more options than not.
    I then proceeded to clean and de-primer 20 spent factory rounds.
    Then calculated my Coal and adjusted seating depth to .015 off lands for my initial process load. Loaded up two 168g bullets over 68g H-1000 and went out to fire through the chrony and check accuracy. Unfortunately, the cloudy day and being late in the evening did not allow the 1st shot to register, so I quit for the day. However, the case and primer looked fine. I will load 3-4 for future testing, but wanted a safety check to verify I'd not gone too far even though I'm under spec. SAFETY FIRST!

This gun shoots extremely well with factory loads, so I'm confident it will only get better. Some may ask, then why mess with it? To have fun and better understand the entire process. I also wanted a little heavier bullet for caliber, higher SD & BC without sacrificing too much speed. I also look forward to killing an animal this fall with a round I produced!
    I plan to also try RL26 and am looking for RL33 to try as well. I am a detail fanatic and see that this process is going to be fun. Sadly, once I find my best accuracy node, coupled with a respectable speed, it'll be all over but the process of reloading.

I plan to get back to working up my recipe later this week and will report back if this thread shows any interest.

BC

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Bonecollector For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 42 Posts
    BC if you haven't already, work up 3 shot loads with .5 grain increments high and low. More times than not you will squeak out a little accuracy.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Slugz!

Absolute my plan. I just ran out of daylight after finally getting measurements and cases prepped. My initial shot was more of a safety check and I also wanted to get one shot off before dark... I was excited! lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Welcome to the wonderful world of reloading.

Years ago there was a article in a shooting magizine that talked about what was better as far as accuracy was concerned, reloads or factory ammo. They came to the conclusion that the newer factory ammo shoots just as well as any reload that you can load. You just have to find it. I have a few rifles that shot that this is quite true.

However I also found that to shoot those factory loads I have to spend over $100 for a box of 20 when I can reload the same rounds for about $2 a load or $40 for 20, so I reload. My only problem with that is that I now also shoot more so the savings goes down the range, but I am also a better shot doing so.

What kind of chronograph do you have? If it has sky screens that you can remove you can take them off on a cloudy overcast day and get good readings. Other than that you just have to play with it to see when the best time is to take the readings. I'm sitting at home right now looking south towards my shooting range and wondering if I should go out today or wait until tomorrow just for this reason. I have 18 loads that I need to send downrange to check for pressure signs and get their speed.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks Jim. The chrony is a Caldwell. Unfortunately, it was just a bit to late to register, but I was hopeful. But more than anything was excited to fire at lease one round after 2-3 hours of slowly working through the process my first time.

I agree with the factory loads becoming more accurate. Even the mid-grade ammo is pretty good. I am getting 1/2 moa from hornady 162gr sst when I do my part. However, the manufacturers will never push the limit to find the absolute best load as it'd be impossible as each gun is different and they also want to be well below spec as a safety precaution due to different guns/pressures etc.

It's been a lot of fun thus far. More to come...

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 214 Times in 47 Posts
    Here is a link for you that will calculate your cost of a reload. It is just fun to know at times.

http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

9. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 99 Times in 30 Posts
    Thanks for the kind words. I always say my advice is worth what you are paying for it...

As to your quandaries. After a load is developed for a rifle, you can always work on another, say antelope specific, or different high BC bullet, never ends. Then there is always the allure of another rifle, for varmints perhaps.

As to the chrono, I have the same one, got it on sale for 60-70 ish. Am going to upgrade to a Magnetospeed, the single unit is around 180. Uses magnetic field. Reviews are VG.

If you are a safety first guy, have an accurate chrono, you might want to adopt a 2x max load check. If you get to the book max charge or book max fps for that powder, stop. Granted there are reasons a rifle is safely faster than the book, chamber dimensions among them, chasing a few extra fps can be hard on cases, guns. It is possible to be over pressure without noticeable case/primer issues. Certainly not required, but sometching to consider.

http://www.magnetospeed.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim McCoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 396 Times in 100 Posts
    Your on the right track. After reloading for 60 years and for more guns than I care to remember, I've found that reloading is cheaper, better accuracy and a great hobby. My belief is that no 2 rifles are the same and won't shoot the same ammunition the same. There are too many tolerance buildups and material differences. If you are satisfied with 1 to 2 inch groups at 100 yards, then you shouldn't be reloading! As a retired engineer, I try to get the optimum performance out of my reloads and rifles. It takes a lot of research and testing to come up with what is right for a rifle. You have to be willing to spend a lot of time (and money too!) to find that sweet spot.

The most frustration I ever experienced was with a Weatherby in .300 Wby Mag. They have very deep throats in all their factory rifles. I have a custom rifle chambered for .300 Wby. with a much shorter throat. It really took me a long time to work up a load that this rifle liked.

Have fun my friend...
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thank guys! I'll update this thread, and maybe ask a few questions over the next couple weeks as I develop my ladder testing, etc.
    My job keeps getting in the way of me doing the things I want to do! lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

I've been using IMR 7828 with 160 grain Accubonds in my 7mm rem mag with great results (accuracy and velocity).
    H-1000 also gets lots of praise from 7 mag reloaders.

Good Luck
    Last edited by LaHunter; 05-26-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast