Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Reload Newbie

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 13 Posts

Bonecollector. I used to run into the same issues as you with my Chrony. I hated wasting a shot and not getting it to register also. What i do now is bring a 22 Rimfire, rifle or pistol and shoot it through the Chrony first to make sure it will register my shots. It usually works good and im only using a few rounds of 22. I've taken the sky screens off as well as said above but still shoot the 22 through it first. Just some thoughts.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to fackelberry For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,138 Times in 807 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 200 Times in 66 Posts
    Good tip Fackelberry. I figured it would not register as it was getting late, but wanted to crack one off anyway as it was my first time! :-)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Got an opportunity to get back after it this past weekend.
    Berger 168gr VLD 0.015 O\Ls
    Gun has a deep throat, so lots of options.
    H-1000
    69g @ 2998 fps
    70g @ 3022 +24
    71g @ 3068 +46
    72g @ 3120 +52
    73g @ 3184 +64
    73g @ 3184 -0- I was pleased with the duplicated speed. I was very detailed in my measurements. I'm sure there was a bit of luck there as well. lol

Put a few on paper at 100 yards and was getting 3/4" moa. I'm sure it'll be even better on a more solid rest, so I was very pleased. 4 in bull's-eye and 2 at 11'oclock on the ridge of circle. For a not-so conducive rest, the shots were very good. (more like hunting shots than target opportunities)
    Primers looked good; actually better than the hornady factory primers after being shot. There were no issues with pressure signs.
    I'll rework the rounds this week and further inspect. If all looks good, I believe I've found my recipe. If not, I'll back it down as I have plenty of speed already and will still have a fast flat shooting round.
    Next step will be to shoot on a better rest and perhaps seat bullet -.005 from 0.015 to 0.010

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Out of curiosity, what kind of velocity are you achieving with that powder and bullet? I've read that 7828 is a good powder choice.

Quote Originally Posted by LaHunter View Post
    I've been using IMR 7828 with 160 grain Accubonds in my 7mm rem mag with great results (accuracy and velocity).
    H-1000 also gets lots of praise from 7 mag reloaders.

Good Luck
    Last edited by Bonecollector; 06-06-2017 at 06:10 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shot a bb gun through the chrony to get it active.
    The last time it did not register was due to darkness setting in early on a very overcast day. Never an issue any other time. lol

Quote Originally Posted by fackelberry View Post
    Bonecollector. I used to run into the same issues as you with my Chrony. I hated wasting a shot and not getting it to register also. What i do now is bring a 22 Rimfire, rifle or pistol and shoot it through the Chrony first to make sure it will register my shots. It usually works good and im only using a few rounds of 22. I've taken the sky screens off as well as said above but still shoot the 22 through it first. Just some thoughts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonecollector View Post
    I shot a bb gun through the chrony to get it active.
    The last time it did not register was due to darkness setting in early on a very overcast day. Never an issue any other time. lol
    Thats a good plan too. Cheaper than the 22LR also. I like to bring a few other guns to the range when working up loads. When one starts to warm up from test loads i put it aside and shoot another so the barrel will cool down. Usually 3 rifles is what i take. If i'm only working one gun, then the 22 comes out and i plink with that while barrel cools on test rifle. Or i rummage through the trash barrels at the range and look for factory brass people shoot and leave. It's a cheap way to find decent brass for reloading. Glad your load development is going good so far. Keep us updated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UPDATE:
    If time permits, I plan to load a few rounds this weekend. It'll be the 3rd & 4th bullet seated in these cases. Thus far, things are going very well.
    I've been using a friend's equipment, but I picked up my first reloading equipment at a cabelas sales last weekend. (RCBS-Rock Chuc ker Supreme Kit) Will need to add a few things, but I've got 90% of what I need.
    Really enjoying things so far!

9. The Following User Says Congratulations to Bonecollector For This Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well, I reloaded number 3, 4 and 5 in a few cases. All velocities were within 4 feet per sec range.
    After being shot 5th time, I de-primed and re-primed and the pockets were all good for the 6th priming (but no plans to load/shoot more than 5). No pressure signs or visual wear to cases. All went very well.
    I think 5x loaded cases is very good for what I'm getting out of this load. I don't' want to be foolish and push the envelope and find out when I've really gone to far! I worked up in stages and was very caution and deliberate with my loading.

Any thoughts on development thus far from the Eastman Experts?

I started with Hornady factory loaded ammunition. Does anyone have an personal experience or opinions on said cases?
    I know a lot of guys buy Winchester or Nosler cases to load. I started with these since I was previously shooting factory Hornady.
    Last edited by Bonecollector; 07-06-2017 at 01:06 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,169 Times in 1,228 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 410 Times in 105 Posts
    I really don't keep track of how many times I load a case. Once I have shot a load in my particular rifle, I only use this case in that rifle as the case fire forms to the chamber dimensions. I only neck size from that point on. I believe that full length sizing stretches the case at the base and encourages thinness and case splits. I also don't pick out certain branded cases. I wont use steel or chrome plated empties.

I check oal case length after every shot and as long as I don't have to trim the case, I know the brass hasn't stretched.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations

Don't they stress and stretch with each shot?

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast