Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drew NM unit 36

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Drew NM unit 36

So excitement followed by a little nervousness...learned we drew New Mexico unit 36. I know it is rugged country and I'm in good physical shape, probably the best I've been in 10 years. We were hoping for unit 52 because we didn't really expect to draw one of our first two choices. But, like I told my hunting partner the other day, someone has to draw it right? Anyways, it leads me to my questions...Anyone out there willing to share some of their 36 knowledge with me? I've heard great things about the number and quality of bulls in that unit but don't know for sure where to start. Looking at parking and hiking to set up a spike camp somewhere (if we can find a flat spot to do it ) Looking for any suggestions or secret intelligence anyone is willing to share. We do have some good elk hunting experience and are physically up for the challenge. Thanks in advance.

Josh

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 28 Times in 12 Posts
    It has a great reputation, but I've never been there myself. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    You hunting archery, muzz or rifle? My brother hunted there 3 years ago with rifle.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Pm inbound. I also drew, 1st rifle. I've talked to a couple guys but still waiting for someone to chime in with some boots on the ground info. Congrats
    Last edited by Always Ruttin; 04-16-2017 at 09:40 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Adrianpops View Post
    You hunting archery, muzz or rifle? My brother hunted there 3 years ago with rifle.
    Archery, Sept 1 thru 14.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure what the hunting is like during that time of year. My brother went hunting there 2 years ago during the second rifle hunt. It was the first time we had been hunting there. I like the area. Has a good trail system. It's wilderness so limited to just horseback and foot traffic so that's good. Going to need to get further back to get away from day hikers. Ran into them. Canyons are big. Looked like most of the running water streams were more toward the central to southern part of the unit that fed bonito lake like spring point and white horse him. We took Pennsylvania canyon to the top of the ridge and saw elk right away on the other side of the canyon after glassing. Three bulls but too late in the day to sneak up on them. Went to another spot the morning where we seen other elk but should stuck with Pennsylvania canyon. Went back there in the afternoon only to find some hunters on horseback packing out a nice 6 x 7 out of the same spot we left the three bulls. That trail head went way back and I'm sure you could out a good spike camp there. Wouldn't rule out the trail leading toward nogal peak. You can take it all the way around that back country to end up on the southern end of the unit if you're up for it. Lots of good places for a spike camp. There was a big fire burn about 4 years ago in the central to southern part of the unit. We saw lots of elk each place we would go just had to get back far enough to get away from the crowds. Great looking country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151031_110633.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	101.4 KB 
ID:	18774
    Wilderness map and a view from near nogal peak of Argentine peak.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 20151031_082649.jpg  

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info adrianpops. Short sweet and right to the point. Much appreciated. Was your bro able to connect? Beautiful picture.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unfortunately he wasn't able to. Never could get close enough for a good shot. Saw good numbers of elk but he was only there 3 days. Probably could have done better with more time.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Adrianpops For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianpops View Post
    Not sure what the hunting is like during that time of year. My brother went hunting there 2 years ago during the second rifle hunt. It was the first time we had been hunting there. I like the area. Has a good trail system. It's wilderness so limited to just horseback and foot traffic so that's good. Going to need to get further back to get away from day hikers. Ran into them. Canyons are big. Looked like most of the running water streams were more toward the central to southern part of the unit that fed bonito lake like spring point and white horse him. We took Pennsylvania canyon to the top of the ridge and saw elk right away on the other side of the canyon after glassing. Three bulls but too late in the day to sneak up on them. Went to another spot the morning where we seen other elk but should stuck with Pennsylvania canyon. Went back there in the afternoon only to find some hunters on horseback packing out a nice 6 x 7 out of the same spot we left the three bulls. That trail head went way back and I'm sure you could out a good spike camp there. Wouldn't rule out the trail leading toward nogal peak. You can take it all the way around that back country to end up on the southern end of the unit if you're up for it. Lots of good places for a spike camp. There was a big fire burn about 4 years ago in the central to southern part of the unit. We saw lots of elk each place we would go just had to get back far enough to get away from the crowds. Great looking country.
    Great info. Thank you!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast