Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drew NM unit 36

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks. Can't believe I didn't know about this forum before.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I also pulled an Elk tag for 36, mine is muzzleloader Oct 7-11. Also looking for any helpful info as this will be my first Elk hunt, especially looking for info on hiring horses for the pack out.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jgt24 View Post
    So excitement followed by a little nervousness...learned we drew New Mexico unit 36. I know it is rugged country and I'm in good physical shape, probably the best I've been in 10 years. We were hoping for unit 52 because we didn't really expect to draw one of our first two choices. But, like I told my hunting partner the other day, someone has to draw it right? Anyways, it leads me to my questions...Anyone out there willing to share some of their 36 knowledge with me? I've heard great things about the number and quality of bulls in that unit but don't know for sure where to start. Looking at parking and hiking to set up a spike camp somewhere (if we can find a flat spot to do it ) Looking for any suggestions or secret intelligence anyone is willing to share. We do have some good elk hunting experience and are physically up for the challenge. Thanks in advance.

Josh
    My son drew a tag in Unit 52 in November for an antler-less hunt.. Looking forward to him shooting his first elk. My friend and I applied for deer tags in Unit 36, when I did research on this area I know it's pretty checkerboard-ed. Lots of roads for access, in to the USFS lands. I have a colleague who shot an 8x9 (Totally not telling tales out of school) on his reservation (Mescalero Apache Reservation) around the northern portion of the Reservation boundary to that border USFS lands of Unit 36. Sierra Blanca area, I have some great pictures and videos of some terrain and elk in this area; unfortunately, it's on the Reservation side. In the distance of he first picture, that was taken from a lookout tower just southwest of Sierra Blanca Peak, the other photo was taken at the base of the mountain.. Second week of Oct. 2016.. The wilderness areas on the USFS side I would assume makes for some great bull sanctuary!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 70 Times in 14 Posts
    I have hunted it for deer and turkey, so I have only been in there in the winter/spring.

Don't overlook areas outside the wilderness. There are absolutely elk in the wilderness, but there's other places to check out also. There's roadless area above the race track that can hold elk, but access is tricky. Cattle and drinkers along 443, can be elk all through that country. Found some heads w/ antlers cut off in the Hubbard canyon area. People may laugh at me for this, but I saw a ton of sign in the western part of Fort Stanton - more rubs than anywhere. I saw some big bulls on the backside of the rez in the three rivers area also. That may matter as to when they are doing hunts on the Rez - pressure there may push a few bulls off the edges - would be worth researching.

Once again all that information is valid in January and April, I have no idea if the elk are in there in Sep/Oct - but things to think about.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 146 Times in 13 Posts
    Congrats on the tag - it was a good area when I hunted muzzle season back in 2003 or so. We hunted with Elite Outfitters and they ran a great operation. I think they might have changed owners since then, but I would've highly recommend them. They packed us into a camp on mules to the area around the head of Big and Little Bear Canyon from what I remember. It was crazy steep country that had a lot of elk in it. Certainly one of the better hunts I've been on, we just haven't had luck in the draws since to go back. Good luck!

Jared

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jgt24, I drew the same Sept 1 thru 14 archery tag as you. This will be my second elk hunt, first bull hunt and i'm stoked. I was up there in December 2 years ago and saw dozens of bulls, but I've never been in the wilderness in September.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 10 Posts
    Maybe someone could post up a map with circles on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I won't post the picture WapitiBob but I circled the whole Lincoln national Forest for you.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Always Ruttin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 43 Times in 10 Posts
    Thanks but I've hunted the crap out of the Lincoln.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Well do you care to share a story of a hunt or two. You must be talking turkeys... Did you ever hunt anywhere on the west side. What's your opinion on elk there.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast