Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ruptured Achilles

This past Monday I ruptured my Achilles playing basketball, looking forward to 6 months of rehab! Has anybody else had this happen and how did rehab go for you? I'm in pretty good shape and relatively young (31) so I imagine I can recover somewhat quickly but they guess I won't be running for 8-9 months! Just in time for rifle season! What's the worst injury you guys have had before hunting season???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,178 Times in 501 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 163 Times in 37 Posts
    Ouch, that doesn't sound like much fun at all! All the best on your rehab.

I had a "high tibial osteotomy" once just prior to having a Kodiak brown bear hunt. I was still on crutches when I went, hoping that a bear would come to me. None did! This wasn't a recent injury, but to repair years worth of deterioration from injuries during high school football. Of course, I drew the bear tag AFTER scheduling the surgery...my luck! My doctor said not to go on the hunt, but I'm a lousy patient!

Take good care of it so you can get back into the mountains soon!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    Ouch, I did mine when I was 15 and was miserable for a while. No football, basketball, or cross country that fall for me but I made it out hunting in October and I ruptured it around the middle of August.

But I think the worst injury that I have had before hunting season was tearing everything off the inside of my left knee. You could actually bend my left leg 90 degrees to the left when holding it out straight. I made it hunting but had a hard time hiking with a fairly stiff left leg. I managed to trip over just about any stick that was laying on the ground that year but did manage to get me a buck.

The Achilles was way back in 1968 and the knee was in 1978. The doctors hadn't heard about rehab yet back then and when I asked the doctor about rehab on my knee he told me to go swimming.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 11 Posts
    Know two guys who have done it. One playing softball, one in a call at work. Both healed up well, and coincidentally shot the biggest bucks of their lives last season.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Horsenhike For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 357 Times in 58 Posts
    Think I was 16 or 17 when I ruptured mine. I was lucky though it was in December after hunting season. I don't really remember how long the full recovery was.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I sure hope I kill my biggest buck this year! Had the surgery yesterday, everything went very well, now it's time to heal and then rehab!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Wapiti_Hunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,709 Times in 1,481 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 519 Times in 132 Posts
    Good luck, I'm rehabbing too. Had my first PT this am...hurtin right now!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,844 Times in 1,158 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 294 Times in 65 Posts
    I love it when they grab the injured appendage and then stretch it past it's limits to keep scar tissue from building up.

Sometimes it makes you wonder what was worse, the injury or the PT.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JimP For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,303 Times in 786 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 341 Times in 76 Posts
    Complete ruptured achilles age 34 while playing basketball.....sound familiar. Lots of walking with the soft brace on is the only rehab other than stretching that worked for me with ice after each exercise period. I still have the wrap brace like thing and wear it when it gets aggravated. I wore it hunting probably 5-6 years after the surgery before I felt like I didn't need it anymore. It has two soft gel inserts that massage it. Problem is it will stretch your one boot very big. Small price to pay to keep hunting.

https://www.braceshop.com/product/me...NqoaAnaI8P8HAQ

This tape technique works very well also.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 247 Times in 49 Posts

I dislocated a shoulder 2 weeks before a archery tag I drew in 08.. Should have turned it in but hunted anyway and when the time came I could not pull my bow, kicked a leg, and watched a true trophy I had scouted all summer move away. I thought I could get it pulled back 1x found out otherwise.

Been around a lot of basketball as well and that complete ruptured achilles injury is one a bunch of friends have had. Long recovery hard injury. As I joke basketball is a extreme sport and why I dont play pick up anymore. Of the guys I know I would say 12+ of them I was around a lot of teams but a lot of friends have had that happen in their 28 - 45 year old range.

Be patient it is a long road and do the pt.

18. The Following User Says Thank You to ColoradoV For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast