Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts

I've used Kelty and REI before hunting packs were invented. Then used Cabelas Alaskan guide frame pack and eventually couldn't stand the weight, (12lbs empty), a Badlands day pack which couldn't do much meat but a great daypack, a Kuiu 1850 and 6000 ultra which was very light weight and versatile but heavy loads weren't the greatest but OK and eventually got a Kifaru Nomad 2 this year. The Kifaru is by far the most comfortable for me when hauling heavy loads and I use by Kuiu 6000 mounted on the Nomad 2. I remove the Kuiu when I pack out meat which I was able to utilize this year on an elk. By far its the most comfortable pack I've had. The most I packed was about 70-80 lbs this year but I could have done maybe 20 more but didn't want to risk injury as it was steep country and I was solo.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 234 Times in 47 Posts
    Get a Kifaru Duplex frame with a Timberline 2 bag. Your body will be happy and thank you.
    DIY Public land Elk hunts are not for everyone but everyone should try it at least once in their lifetime. And for all those younger guys that say I don't have the time, I don't have the money, I'm out of shape or I don't have the experience to do a trip. I only have a few things to say. Take the time to make a experience, Save the money to make the trip, Get in shape so you will enjoy the hunt and the only way to get the experience is to go and make it happen. Hunt on Mark!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 98 Times in 10 Posts
    one that fits a 185lbs college wrestler & take them both

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to alaska2go For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 29 Posts
    It seems on all these threads I read there are a few common themes:

Lots of people like Mystery Ranch, Outdoorsmans, Eberlestock Mainframes, and Seek Outside.

More people seem to like Kifaru, Exo, or Stone Glacier.

I'm just making an observation not a judgement. It may be increased advertising rather than any particular feature separating these. More likely it's just how each brand fits each individual like with boot fit between top brands. They are the brands I hear mentioned most often on forums like this. I personally bought an Exo 3500 and am very happy with it. I also own an Eberlestock Mainframe and it's a great pack the Exo just fits my body better.

I have not personally tried most of these brands over miles with heavy loads, only the Exo and Eberlestock Mainframe. If I had them all side by side to compare I may find I like another one better. I don't think you would really go wrong with any of them though.

I'm sure I'm leaving out other great options, these are just the ones that come to mind right off when I read threads like this.

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,668 Times in 1,216 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 175 Times in 84 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mcseal2 View Post
    It seems on all these threads I read there are a few common themes:

Lots of people like Mystery Ranch, Outdoorsmans, Eberlestock Mainframes, and Seek Outside.

More people seem to like Kifaru, Exo, or Stone Glacier.

I'm just making an observation not a judgement. It may be increased advertising rather than any particular feature separating these. More likely it's just how each brand fits each individual like with boot fit between top brands. They are the brands I hear mentioned most often on forums like this. I personally bought an Exo 3500 and am very happy with it. I also own an Eberlestock Mainframe and it's a great pack the Exo just fits my body better.

I have not personally tried most of these brands over miles with heavy loads, only the Exo and Eberlestock Mainframe. If I had them all side by side to compare I may find I like another one better. I don't think you would really go wrong with any of them though.

I'm sure I'm leaving out other great options, these are just the ones that come to mind right off when I read threads like this.
    I will add thoughts to this when I have some more time.
    www.eastmans.com
    blog.eastmans.com
    www.wingmen.us

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ScottR For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 194 Times in 42 Posts
    I'm hoping to go up to the showroom in Wheat Ridge, Co and strap on a Kifaru.

I have too many packs right now for multiple different reasons/hunts and need to get a do it all. CO High Country's story sounds exactly like my situation.

I'd like to strap on an Exo also

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 93 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alaska2go View Post
    one that fits a 185lbs college wrestler & take them both
    tru dat!!!!!
    AS GOES THE CHURCH, SO GOES THE NATION

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 220 Times in 14 Posts
    Here's one to throw you all for a loop. I use a Kelty Tactical Eagle 128L and a Kelty Falcon 66 for all my packputs I've ever done. Hold weight unbelievable and very durable. Any one else use these?

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,788 Times in 1,260 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 779 Times in 131 Posts
    I use my gear pack to pack out meat. I used to use a frame but then I would have to go back to camp and get it. I carry my gear pack rather I have a 5 day camp in it or if I?m using it as a day pack so that?s why I use my gear pack now.
    If you are using a small day pack and have a frame to pack out your meat I used to strap my small day pack onto my frame that way I have it when I get a animal down.
    I go to the Mountains to loose my mind and find my soul.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 268 Times in 44 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I use my gear pack to pack out meat. I used to use a frame but then I would have to go back to camp and get it. I carry my gear pack rather I have a 5 day camp in it or if I?m using it as a day pack so that?s why I use my gear pack now.
    If you are using a small day pack and have a frame to pack out your meat I used to strap my small day pack onto my frame that way I have it when I get a animal down.
    Use to do the same thing, seemed like a wasted trip.
    I do keep my old setup in camp/truck, something happens to my main pack, I've got a backup. Really like having everything I need with me, this year was a good example. Bull hit the ground 15 minutes before dark 3.3 miles from camp, I de-bonded and bagged him, and hauled out a load on my way to camp. Saved a lot of time not having to go back, just to get my meat hauling pack.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to go_deep For This Useful Post:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast