Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading hicup

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 4 Posts

Thanks guys I think I got it figured out. I appreciate all of the advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,166 Times in 1,226 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 409 Times in 105 Posts
    Tell us what you did to solve the problem.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim McCoy View Post
    Interesting, I'd have thought the larger diameter bullet the .303 Brit takes would have been a tight fit, if at all. He must have had things way out of whack.
    But the 30/06 uses .308 caliber bullets.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Tell us what you did to solve the problem.
    I found out that some of my brass was just a few thousandths of an inch longer than other and that was messing with my neck resizing. Once I got every thing shaved down every thing is fitting quite nicely.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bdan68 View Post
    But the 30/06 uses .308 caliber bullets.
    Why yes it does indeed, and the .303 Brit usually uses .312 bullets. The .303 Brit is a .303 measurement to the lands, not to the grooves. That labeling was used on cartridges in some cases, usually in Eurpoe. Ergo my confusion as to how bad things would have to be out of whack for so called 303 Brit bullets to not be tight in a 30-06 case, it should be the opposite. They ought to be tight, if true 303 bullets were used, at least as I understand SAAMI specs. Look it up, as in all things, I could be wrong, but doubt it in this case.

Cartridges and calibers, with their associated names can be funny things... Why does the 404 Jeffery use a .423 diameter bullet? There are more, like the 303 British, using a bullet diameter bigger than it's name, or say in pistols, the 38 Special, using a bullet diameter smaller than it's name seems to suggest.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Being new to reloading can be daunting.

1) Consider getting a Hornady Lock-N-Load Headspace Kit. Measure several fired cases to get an average length to the datum line (mid shoulder). Follow directions for the resizing die in reference to how far you thread down the die. Goal is to bump the shoulder 0.001-0.002 thousands (for hunting rounds) which will also ensure the case neck is being pushed into the die enough to correctly resize the neck.

2) Measure the case neck with several loaded dummy rounds (no powder) using unfired brass or resized brass. After you resize the brass I would expect the neck to measure 0.001-0.002 smaller which should provide appropriate neck tension when seating the bullet. Consider bad die or a bad batch of bullets both of which I think would be unlikely.

I use Redding Competition Bushing Dies so I'll let the RCBS guys chime in. Either way the neck should be just a little smaller after resizing. If you don't have a mentor to help you in person I would definitely call RCBS if you still have issues.
    Last edited by Mule3006Elk; 09-21-2016 at 11:50 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 215 Times in 48 Posts
    You really don't need to go to the expense of new equipment or special dies.

A properly adjusted sizing die will do just fine, but I don't think that you whole problem is solved by just trimming the cases. Even a over length case will be sized completely and even if you are just neck sizing the neck will be sized completely if adjusted properly.

Now if you are running it head spacing issues then other things need to be addressed.
    If you don't care where you are, you are not lost....

Thanks
    Congratulations

Thank you all for so much advice! I appreciate every bit of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12