Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 10 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slugz View Post
    2 open or empty pages in your pas port is what he is talking about.

When crossing borders some countries require you have at least 2 empty pages in your passport. I'm not sure what Canada's policy is but I just had extra pages added to my passport last year because I was down to 2 or 3 pages and was heading to Alberta for a deer hunt and did not want to find out Canada's policy the hard way.

Tim
    You guys were really, really lucky and apparently had one of the nice border agents helping you out. I've seen so many guys turned around at airports and border crossings that I don't take anything for granted including myself getting in to Canada the next time I go up there. Before 9/11 it was so much better. Once I actually took a Delta flight but forgot my wallet at home, didn't have a passport or ID and was not given any paperwork from the company whom I was doing work for in Canada. I got a real ass chewing from the Canada customs agent but in the end he let me in.

Grant
    50 years ago I was just a kid and went to Canada on fishing trips with my parents where I caught my first northern in Flin Flon, Saskatchewan. The memories are a little fuzzy.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    WY ME, you are right. What I did was call both sides first, then talk to both when there, before crossing. I only needed to cross for a few hours, then right back while the same folks were there. I doubt it would have worked for a longer stay.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 505 Times in 131 Posts
    One thing I found out crossing the border into Mexico so much, was that you could never figure what the US Customs was going to do to you. I've had them go thru my boat & rv and spend several hours doing it, the next time they just wave you thru. I am sure the crossing from Mexico have a lot more problems, but the individual agents went all the way from pretty good people to real A Holes.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 13 Posts
    Three other options on carrying a handgun or long gun. Option "A" Prearrange a gunshop in the town that you are in before crossing the border to store your handgun at that gunshop. Most likely charge a small fee. Make sure that they will return it to you as you return. Since you are an out of stater it may a problem. At least for part of your trip your armed. Option "B" you are absolutely allowed to bring into Canada a handgun that is not on their prohibited list (last time I looked at least 4 1/3 inch barrel/10 round mags or less) when traveling to Alaska!! I am not telling you to lie but if you feel strongly enough you could make all of the arrangements as you need to be preapproved for each province(Saskatchewan, Alberta , British Columbia? and Yukon) and maybe in Alberta you change your mind and have to return to the US earlier than anticipated. Option "C" carry a shotgun (hunting type) with slugs and obtain prior permission and camp near Banff and Canmore (Lots of Bear activity there). It can not be loaded and must be cased in the campgrounds and locked in a vehicle but you may possess it for protection from "Wildlife". Option "C" is what I did summer of 2011. I had a single shot 12 Gauge. Also as others have advised paperwork/permission filled out in advance for both directions. And No Tactical Looking Weapons allowed. Good luck and God bless

7. The Following User Says Thank You to luckynv For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 8 Posts
    Great info guys appreciate it all for sure!! I've never fly fished before but love to try it somewhere in Alberta on my way back. Be nice to fill the cooler with fresh fish if could.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I knew a guy that said his buddy had a handgun he brought to Canada and the Canadians allowed him to bring it in after they put it in some type of an official sealed bag.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 9 Times in 6 Posts
    Lot's of good info provided here. Only thing I can suggest after 40/50 trips across the border into Canada if traveling by vehicle with other passengers, is a clear understanding that if they have any dark clouds in their past and are denied entrance, you will provide travel back to the nearest airport or bus station. Not screwing up my trip!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Sundowners@5? For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,688 Times in 1,471 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 505 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    I knew a guy that said his buddy had a handgun he brought to Canada and the Canadians allowed him to bring it in after they put it in some type of an official sealed bag.
    I would question this. My son owns his own trucking business and goes into Canada occasionally. Once he forgot and had a handgun in a locked container with him. They absolutely would not let him bring it into the country. He went to a local truck stop close to the border (in the US) and rented a small, lockable storage locker and left the pistol there. Retrieved it after he returned to the US.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I would question this. My son owns his own trucking business and goes into Canada occasionally. Once he forgot and had a handgun in a locked container with him. They absolutely would not let him bring it into the country. He went to a local truck stop close to the border (in the US) and rented a small, lockable storage locker and left the pistol there. Retrieved it after he returned to the US.
    This was some time ago before 9/11 so it was probably more lax then. Also the guys were already in the country as the guy I knew was a pilot and was flying the other guy into the country. They were inspected at a Canadian airport which is where the customs learned about the gun.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 8 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sundowners@5? View Post
    Lot's of good info provided here. Only thing I can suggest after 40/50 trips across the border into Canada if traveling by vehicle with other passengers, is a clear understanding that if they have any dark clouds in their past and are denied entrance, you will provide travel back to the nearest airport or bus station. Not screwing up my trip!
    I thought about that when I asked one buddy to go already lol. Very good point you make there!
    I'm going by myself this time though.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast