Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 178 Times in 10 Posts

Who are you hunting with in Grand Prairie?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cmbbulldog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 32 Times in 8 Posts
    Figured they wouldn't put it back go figure lol. Hopefully it'll go good

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 10 Posts
    I've been going to Canada for 50 years and it all depends on the border agent as to how you'll be treated. One trip may find a very nice customs agent and the next trip you'll meet Canada's #1 A-hole. My worst crossing experience was when me and my brother were coming back from Alaska in 1982. He had been working in the Canadian bush at a fly-in camp as a fish guide and did not get any mail for 3 months. When were returning from AK after DIY goat (no you didn't need a guide for goats back then) and caribou hunts we
    were stopped at the Yukon border because he didn't have a proof of insurance card (no mail) for his car. Despite repeated calls from his insurance agent and a U.S. Sheriff's Dept. to the RCMP explaining that we were covered and all was legal we were still turned back. We lost 1/2 of our caribou meat to spoilage because we could not make it to a locker plant in Whitehorse.

So make sure you have a vehicle insurance card...and a passport that isn't going to expire in the next couple months and has at least 2 empty pages...and a CAFC 909 form if bringing a gun...and no past criminal history...and no dui's for the past 10 years. Answer the border agents questions but do not volunteer any more information than asked. Don't buy anything in Canada unless you need to as everything is very expensive although the current exchange rate is very good and will help offset the costs. I once bought a 12 pack of Budweiser in northern Maine for $6 and it was $23 in Canada.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to WY ME For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by WY ME View Post
    I've been going to Canada for 50 years and it all depends on the border agent as to how you'll be treated. One trip may find a very nice customs agent and the next trip you'll meet Canada's #1 A-hole. My worst crossing experience was when me and my brother were coming back from Alaska in 1982. He had been working in the Canadian bush at a fly-in camp as a fish guide and did not get any mail for 3 months. When were returning from AK after DIY goat (no you didn't need a guide for goats back then) and caribou hunts we
    were stopped at the Yukon border because he didn't have a proof of insurance card (no mail) for his car. Despite repeated calls from his insurance agent and a U.S. Sheriff's Dept. to the RCMP explaining that we were covered and all was legal we were still turned back. We lost 1/2 of our caribou meat to spoilage because we could not make it to a locker plant in Whitehorse.

So make sure you have a vehicle insurance card...and a passport that isn't going to expire in the next couple months and has at least 2 empty pages...and a CAFC 909 form if bringing a gun...and no past criminal history...and no dui's for the past 10 years. Answer the border agents questions but do not volunteer any more information than asked. Don't buy anything in Canada unless you need to as everything is very expensive although the current exchange rate is very good and will help offset the costs. I once bought a 12 pack of Budweiser in northern Maine for $6 and it was $23 in Canada.
    Wow 50 years!! Bet you could tell some stories!! I could only imagine how good the hunting was back then!! Man I'd love to go to Alaska for a month hunt fish and camo the whole time!!! Do you have to have a guide in Alaska or can a person go diy if drive up there?

What is it you speak of at least two pages? I assume your previous destinations are wrote in your passport? I've got a passport about 3 years old but never have used it.

Do you need a permit or anything for archery equipment being a bow or crossbow?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,297 Times in 783 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 340 Times in 76 Posts
    2 open or empty pages in your pas port is what he is talking about.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Slugz For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 391 Times in 66 Posts
    Not sure on that one, when I went across the border last Sept. They didn't stamp my passport! I felt cheated

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sneakypete For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts
    Last time I crossed, 7/2014, I did not use a passport either way... I had let my passport expire and needed to make a quick trip across. I called both customs shops first, and the Canadians took a drivers license and birth certificate. I checked with the USA guys before crossing to CA w/o passport, all he said was we are not in the business of keeping Americans out. Got right back in, as did my buddy with no passport. Go figure.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Tim McCoy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by cmbbulldog View Post
    Who are you hunting with in Grand Prairie?
    Big tine adventures

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Good web site. Take the time to read it.
    Thanks for the info CC I appreciate it man!! Sounds like you've had lots of traveling experience.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to grant_stricklin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,683 Times in 1,470 Posts
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 502 Times in 130 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by grant_stricklin View Post
    Thanks for the info CC I appreciate it man!! Sounds like you've had lots of traveling experience.

Glad to help any way I can. Lots of good advice and knowledge here. Good luck and have a blast.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA, NRA certified Range Safety Officer, Pistol Instructor, Rifle Instructor, RMEF, Boone & Crockett Club.
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast