Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 10 Posts

I just filled out my form CAFC 909, here's the link:

http://www.rcmp.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/form-...dex-eng.htm#f6

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 36 Times in 11 Posts
    lol, I like that one WY ME. I haven't tried to go across since before you needed a passport. I got searched going both ways. It kindof sucked. Of course I had no real reason for going there other than to say I went to Canada. So it was a little suspicious, no NRA stickers at the time, lol.
    Last edited by Againstthewind; 03-20-2015 at 06:02 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 25 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RICMIC View Post
    Just don't try to smuggle in any potatoes as they take that real seriously. Some of the border folks think you're a terrorist if they see an NRA sticker on your truck. I work summers in Canada, so I try to make it as smooth as possible.
    I've been into Canada at least 10 times the last 3 years and have never had a problem bringing potatoes. They've really relaxed the last few years. Same with dog food.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 118 Times in 24 Posts
    A potato gun would be okay, but they might get suspicious about the case of hair spray to go with a bald head.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 269 Times in 59 Posts
    You mean I can't bring my dog's food either?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 56 Times in 8 Posts
    I have a friend that owns property in Alaska. He's in his late 60's. He drives up every year in late April and comes home in July. Been doing it for 30+ years. Last year, while going thru the check point, he was informed that he wouldn't be allowed in to Canada. He was told that a no contest plea, from a simple assault(bar fight when he was 23) that resulted in a fine and misdemeanor was on his record and he wouldn't be entering Canada. He come home very angry. My question is, if anyone knows, how can he do this for half his life with zero problems then out of the blue he's denied entry? Certainly his background has been checked many many times. I just don't get it. I was going to plan a trip up there to stay with him and fish, but it looks like that might not be happening. Any thoughts?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 80 Times in 25 Posts
    Depends on the border officer, sounds like your buddy ran into one having a bad day. They have a lot of leeway on deciding which infractions are forgivable and which are not. As far as dog food, I haven't had an issue in about 5 years. Bring your own, the worst thing that can happen is they take it at the border and you buy some there at twice the cost.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 13 Posts
    I crossed a couple of years ago with a shotgun, had my form filled out prior to arriving at the border we were RV'ing. The border officer asked where I was going, into Banff and Canmore I replied. She told me I could not take the shotgun. I asked to speak with the supervisor and she came back about 20 minutes later to collect the fee and gave me the ok as her supervisor had told her several tourists were mauled by a Grizzly the previous week. Gun was never checked, truck and trailer never searched. ssliger is correct though to go to US Customs prior to crossing over and declare anything of great value and the hassle factor coming back into the US is greatly diminished. Also if you are traveling through to Alaska there is a process to bring handguns (the barrel length and magazine capicity is of great concern) across the border with you. If traveling through different provinces, take the time ahead and submit for the permission from each provincial border office. Our rights as we know them in the US disappear at the border. However jumping through their hoops is possible, but make sure to follow the extensive rules. We had more hassle coming back into the US with tomato's we forgot were in the fridge. Good luck and God bless

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 269 Times in 59 Posts
    Do you guys know if there is a master list of things that are prohibited? I mean really? Dog food and tomatoes. My former boss told me what a hassle he got when he came back from mexico with some eggs in his cooler, thats just crazy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 111 Times in 32 Posts

What I do each time is check both countries web sites, then call their Q&A line with any weird issues I may have. I called the CA and US folks about specifics and they were both very helpful. I'd be calling about the guns and 2x if I was considering a handgun. Did that last July when I bought a boat in CA. My passport was expired, I was allowed to cross to CA and come back with a birth certificate, drivers license and old expired passport. The rules about taking $ across the border, US EPA motor rules and US highway safety for the trailer were my weird stuff that time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast