Colorado 2nd Rifle weather

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
65100024-2BBD-4487-B28D-EC8147141AEA.jpeg
My son got his buck this afternoon. About noon I told him “let’s run to town and have a hot lunch…he wanted to check one Aspen covered hillside before we went to town. It was a spot we could glass from the road so I said why not. I could see a deer with the binoculars as soon as we pulled up so I got the spotter set up. Pretty soon we saw a nice 4x4, he looked at it in the spotter and wanted to go after it.

nothing but short sage leading up to the hillside and the opposite slope Was completely open so we drove about 3/4 of a mile down the road where I had hoped at least part of our stalk would be behind a fold in the hill. We got to 700 yards from the closest deer and the sage went to less than a foot tall and we would be exposed. I set up the spotter for another look and notice a big heavy deer, told him there’s a real nice buck in there, it will be difficult to get on them.

We crawled on hands and knees the next 400 yards over the course of about an hour and got to a large rock that we could get behind. By this time the deer were all bedded, probably 30 deer on the hillside.

We sat in the snow and mud for two hours before the deer started feeding again. A very nice 4x4 was feeding through the aspens at 400 yards and he got prone and set up on him. I felt very confident he could make the shot, he had shot about 200 rounds through his Tikka 308 from prone out to 500 yards over the summer.

I kept looking for the bigger buck we had seen, and while he was practicing dry firing on the 4x4 I saw the big boy. He scrambled to get repositioned on the big deer, now moving down the hill. He finally cleared some trees and was facing us and I could see how wide he was. Good grief! He turned broadside at 323 and he let it fly. I could tell it was a good hit, he ran about 10 yards and stopped, he shot again, deer went another 10 yards or so and was down.

No ground shrinkage on this one, he is 34” wide tip to tip on the beams. EC24BB2E-32AE-49C1-9C94-879040659409.jpeg48E78EE4-065D-45B1-B0EB-CDCB89316482.jpeg
5D8F6BC2-3EEB-45EF-8CEB-BA088C0AF229.jpeg

One more day for me to try and punch my tag, maybe lightning will strike again!

Mr Drysdale

Mar 24, 2013
Awesome! I really have enjoyed following your thread. Good luck today and congrats to your Dad and Son!

Reactions: D_Dubya

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Congratulations to both of you! I hate to see your hunt come to an end, I have really enjoyed reading this thread. Thank you for taking the time to share!

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I'd be more than happy with that buck, and I've been hunting a long time. I bet your son was stoked! Tell him congrats.

I've really enjoyed this thread. I hope you have some more hunts lined up to share.

TruckerJay

Nov 9, 2022
View attachment 41962
My son got his buck this afternoon. About noon I told him “let’s run to town and have a hot lunch…he wanted to check one Aspen covered hillside before we went to town. It was a spot we could glass from the road so I said why not. I could see a deer with the binoculars as soon as we pulled up so I got the spotter set up. Pretty soon we saw a nice 4x4, he looked at it in the spotter and wanted to go after it.

nothing but short sage leading up to the hillside and the opposite slope Was completely open so we drove about 3/4 of a mile down the road where I had hoped at least part of our stalk would be behind a fold in the hill. We got to 700 yards from the closest deer and the sage went to less than a foot tall and we would be exposed. I set up the spotter for another look and notice a big heavy deer, told him there’s a real nice buck in there, it will be difficult to get on them.

We crawled on hands and knees the next 400 yards over the course of about an hour and got to a large rock that we could get behind. By this time the deer were all bedded, probably 30 deer on the hillside.

We sat in the snow and mud for two hours before the deer started feeding again. A very nice 4x4 was feeding through the aspens at 400 yards and he got prone and set up on him. I felt very confident he could make the shot, he had shot about 200 rounds through his Tikka 308 from prone out to 500 yards over the summer.

I kept looking for the bigger buck we had seen, and while he was practicing dry firing on the 4x4 I saw the big boy. He scrambled to get repositioned on the big deer, now moving down the hill. He finally cleared some trees and was facing us and I could see how wide he was. Good grief! He turned broadside at 323 and he let it fly. I could tell it was a good hit, he ran about 10 yards and stopped, he shot again, deer went another 10 yards or so and was down.

No ground shrinkage on this one, he is 34” wide tip to tip on the beams. View attachment 41963View attachment 41964
View attachment 41965

One more day for me to try and punch my tag, maybe lightning will strike again!
That's a really nice deer! Was it his first buck?

If it's not a secret - which rifle were he using? I'm currently looking for a gift to my nephew. My brother was always huge into hunting, and so is his son :D I've read a few guides on youth hunting( at https://gritrsports.com/guides-tutorials/ and couple other websites) but didn't find anything that caught my eye.

Last edited: