Wyoming outfitters tags ?

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Saw this on another site , is it true they want to set half the non res tags aside for outfitter only?

Long story short... Wyoming is proposing giving 50% of the nonresident hunting permits to those that book with an outfitter/guide. Basically, screwing the regular guy out of opportunity.

Public comment has opened up for the next version of the outfitter/landowner drawing on NR licenses. If you can take the time to fill out this survey and tell them that you Oppose Outfitter set aside for Nonresident hunting permits, I would appreciate it. We need to flood the Wildlife task force with opposition to this ridicules bill.

https://sites.google.com/wyo.gov/wyomingwildlifetaskforce/home/public-input

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I took the survey. Doubt it does any good. I get the 90-10 tag wise but the outfitter welfare is a flip of the coin. Will probably come down to what the outfitters are giving the task force.

Reactions: mallardsx2

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Bonecollector residents are by a wide margin against this proposal too. Don't try to pin this on us, we have raised the call to get folks to comment against it.
Right now you need to email the commissioners and the Task Force. They need to get the same amount of emails against this as the WTF.
I have posted their contact info elsewhere, mainly on non Wyoming hunting forums.
They are listed here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/About-Us/Game-and-Fish-Commission/Meet-the-Commissioners

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Bonecollector residents are by a wide margin against this proposal too. Don't try to pin this on us, we have raised the call to get folks to comment against it.
Right now you need to email the commissioners and the Task Force. They need to get the same amount of emails against this as the WTF.
I have posted their contact info elsewhere, mainly on non Wyoming hunting forums.
They are listed here: https://wgfd.wyo.gov/About-Us/Game-and-Fish-Commission/Meet-the-Commissioners
Trust me, I’m on board. ✅
I was just mess’n with the forum Warden. 😁

• Haha
Reactions: shootbrownelk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Whoa whoa whoa!

Lets all not loose sight of this fact:

RESIDENTS bitching constantly about their “lack of opportunity” got all of the dust in the air to begin with. Those same residents who bitched and pissed and moaned and cheerleader for 90/10 for the big 5 and then were pushing for 90/10 for DEA are all to blame for the current shitty situation. BuzzH and a bunch of other knuckleheads are 100% to blame for stirring the pot across multiple Internet forums with their hatred of nonresident hunters (and jealousy of us getting the small amount of tags that we even get ) to the point that he was banned on another popular forum.

So don’t sit there telling me it’s raining while pissing down my neck just because the cards didn’t exactly fall the way you all wanted them to because the WTF is filled with a bunch of idiots.

Pretending to give a crap now. That’s rich! You and your “task force” made your bed. Now go count your sheep.

Truth be told I would rather see the tags go to the outfitters than to the residents at this point. That truly pains me to say, as I despise outfitters but at least then I would still have a chance to get a tag. Oh and I guess you residents would as well. So that’s fair right!? If I have to pay a kings ransom to hunt, so should you since your the ones who got this big ball of BS rolling.

At least you know where I stand.

Last edited:

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Whoa whoa whoa!

Lets all not loose sight of this fact:

RESIDENTS bitching constantly about their “lack of opportunity” got all of the dust in the air to begin with. Those same residents who bitched and pissed and moaned and cheerleader for 90/10 for the big 5 and then were pushing for 90/10 for DEA are all to blame for the current shitty situation. BuzzH and a bunch of other knuckleheads are 100% to blame for stirring the pot across multiple Internet forums with their hatred of nonresident hunters (and jealousy of us getting the small amount of tags that we even get ) to the point that he was banned on another popular forum.

So don’t sit there telling me it’s raining while pissing down my neck just because the cards didn’t exactly fall the way you all wanted them to because the WTF is filled with a bunch of idiots.

Pretending to give a crap now. That’s rich! You and your “task force” made your bed. Now go count your sheep.

Truth be told I would rather see the tags go to the outfitters than to the residents at this point. That truly pains me to say, as I despise outfitters but at least then I would still have a chance to get a tag. Oh and I guess you residents would as well. So that’s fair right!? If I have to pay a kings ransom to hunt, so should you since your the ones who got this big ball of BS rolling.

At least you know where I stand.
You need to get your "facts" straight as you don't know chit from low grade peanut butter about what happened, who the players were, etc.

The initial bill introduced for 90-10 was only about moose, sheep, goat, and bison.

That bill was sponsored by Larry Hicks at the recommendation of some resident sportsmen.

Outfitters lost their minds, even though NO other states treated their residents as poorly as Wyoming was for those species. They flew in a dud from Nevada to cry about how he wouldn't draw a sheep tag if the TRW committee passed it. WOGA also got personal with Hicks...and it rightfully pissed him off.

A few years later, Hicks was also told by the GF director that the drawing was becoming complicated with the addition of points, special, draw which were both pushed and passed by WOGA.

Because of both of those things, he introduced a bill combining one set fee and 90-10 for all species. It came within one vote of getting out of TRW.

That got the wheels turning with resident sportsmen and resulted in the 2020 TRW committee again seeing a 90-10 bill. The TRW committee gave an ultimatum, get this 90-10 deal figured out or we will.

The task force was formed and WOGA saw the writing on the wall, 90-10 was going to pass for the big 5, which it did.

Their response was, according to them they "gave up" 90-10 to residents they would make a run at outfitter set asides and use 90-10 for the bait to get their set aside.

I think they're going to be long faced as I don't believe it will make it as a recommendation out of the task force. Even if it does, I doubt the legislature will entertain it. Resident hunters aren't willing to give outfitters set asides, even if it means 90-10 for DEA.

While we're being honest, if every non resident were a lying turd like you, I'd make the deal. No question residents have the pull to make that happen, not even a debate. It's just lucky for you that we know very few non residents have your poor and entitled attitude. You're riding coat tails of the good guys.

That's how this happened, and unlike you, I'm not forced to guess because I was there for all of it.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
Me too. The bad thing is I'll bet this is already cast in stone and they are just going thru the motions so they can say we did everything by the book.
No it's not...2700 comments largely opposed had an impact on the task force.

I also have some insider information that appears to be favoring the good guys.

Sending comments was your best move, thank you for doing so.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
side note, if there's No outfitter registered in a particular unit then what?? lol. can't apply? goat unit 393 for example...

I keep saying it... if money is their goal... just raise tag fees for ALL. Think elk tag supply will increase if residents have to pay $1000.
1 pot, everyone applies for the tags together, everyone pays the same price. Sounds like a win-win, better odds.

• Haha
Reactions: shootbrownelk

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
PS- what about wilderness areas already....those are 100% outfitter draws already in a sense!? does that mean 50% could now not require an outfitter in wilderness areas?

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
side note, if there's No outfitter registered in a particular unit then what?? lol. can't apply? goat unit 393 for example...

I keep saying it... if money is their goal... just raise tag fees for ALL. Think elk tag supply will increase if residents have to pay $1000.
1 pot, everyone applies for the tags together, everyone pays the same price. Sounds like a win-win, better odds.
What concern is it of yours what residents pay for a tag? Why do NR think they are entitled to dictate policies in other states?
If you choose to hunt in another state then you should accept their laws. You are free to comment and let your voice be heard but you also have to accept the will of the residents of those states.