Michigan Bear hunting adventure

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I got lucky and drew my michigan baldwin unit tag a few years sooner then expected. They increased tags 2 years ago and less people applied then last year. Super excited but now starts the fun of scrambling to put things together. My cousin has a cabin with 50 acres in the unit hoping to get permission to hunt there. If not we also deer hunted in the unit almost 15 years ago and bear run ins a few times. Found out Tuesday last week so already headed out Sunday and found two site to bait on state land if my cousins isnt an option. Figuring out my baits and going over the many regulations. Cant bait until 31 days before the season which runs Sept 11-17 rifle and October 7-13 archery. This will be my thread for updating everyone on how it goes.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
So regulatuon I was reading in the booklet last night no bait barrels on state land so if I have to hunt on state land have to cover it with logs no barrels.

To clarify the cousins land he is co owner so has to clear it with the others first and make sure none of them have tags.

Reactions: Bonecollector

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Scouting trip Sunday yielded 1 really good bait site and and a promising bait site.

We were also able to locate a good rustic state forest camp ground near by on a lake that we can put the camper on for the week

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
So regulatuon I was reading in the booklet last night no bait barrels on state land so if I have to hunt on state land have to cover it with logs no barrels.

To clarify the cousins land he is co owner so has to clear it with the others first and make sure none of them have tags.
Find a large dry piece of pine log about 24" high, 20-30" across then carve a hole in one end with a chainsaw. Place a small flat piece of wood over the top with a rock on it. Rock needs to be big enough that raccoons can't knock it off, this will save a lot of bait, and frustration.

Last edited:

Buckbob

Jan 22, 2018
Michigan
Good luck Marcus! I also drew a Michigan bear tag for Bergland, in the western UP. There's 4 of us going, we'll camp and hunt in the Porcupine mountains. We've already bought a bunch of bait and are counting down the days!

Reactions: marcusvdk

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Good luck Marcus! I also drew a Michigan bear tag for Bergland, in the western UP. There's 4 of us going, we'll camp and hunt in the Porcupine mountains. We've already bought a bunch of bait and are counting down the days!
Awesome good look to you guys also

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Most people will be looking for bait sites that they can hang a tree stand. Look for large areas that you can't hang a stand and set a ground blind. You'll likely have the place to yourself, along with bears like the thick stuff anyway.

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Most people will be looking for bait sites that they can hang a tree stand. Look for large areas that you can't hang a stand and set a ground blind. You'll likely have the place to yourself, along with bears like the thick stuff anyway.
The main location on state land i found is in a ceder tree grove .off an old rye field the back side is a big thick swamp several miles long and wide. Has two rivers through it. Got to go down long two track to get back there about a mile and a half. The other side of cedars has a thicker covered ridge. I think its a good spot the cedars aren't conducive to a tree stand.

Its a place 15 years ago we hunted for deer so we know of it pretty well. There was no sign of vehicle traffic going down there in the last several months

Of course none of it matters if I can get permission for my cousins property.

Reactions: gonhunting247

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Picked up some bait from a bear bait place a few hours away.

Granola, corn, trail mix (lots of nuts bbq flavor so heavy scent) , rice crispy treats, 5 gallon bucket of Peanut butter, frosting. And some gummy fruits and candy corn. Starting to keep some scrap meat from when I clean up some meat at home.

Attachments

Reactions: Buckbob and go_deep

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Picked up some bait from a bear bait place a few hours away.

Granola, corn, trail mix (lots of nuts bbq flavor so heavy scent) , rice crispy treats, 5 gallon bucket of Peanut butter, frosting. And some gummy fruits and candy corn. Starting to keep some scrap meat from when I clean up some meat at home.
Looks good! Double check michigan regs if you can use meat. I know a lot of states allow deep fry grease, but not actual meat. If you can get your hangs on a couple gallons of fry grease that works good to throw up in the trees around your bait to scent it up, then when a bear does come in it drags the gear scent back out with them.
Good luck!

Reactions: gonhunting247

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
Looks good! Double check michigan regs if you can use meat. I know a lot of states allow deep fry grease, but not actual meat. If you can get your hangs on a couple gallons of fry grease that works good to throw up in the trees around your bait to scent it up, then when a bear does come in it drags the gear scent back out with them.
Good luck!
Thanks man appreciate all the pointers. Yeah got to figure out where to get some fryer Grease my work does rotisserie chicken but won't let me take any of that stuff home 😒. Did good on the bait was just over 100 bucks and im pretty sure im set for the season minus the grease now. Ive been saving grease and things from cooking at home as a worse case need.