WY Antelope unit 32

Swedishhunter

Jun 24, 2016
Planning a DIY hunt in early October With my Dad and 15 year old son. We have hunted antelope before but different units and this will be our first DIY. Looks like plenty of public land and a couple of big Hunter Management Areas. Anyone got experience from Muddy Mountain?

Our plan is to stay at a motel and do day trips, no issue in walking a few miles to get away from crowds if needed.

Not looking for secret spots but any advice from people with experience from this unit would be really appreciated.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I hunted in a unit near there last October. Unless something drastic happens, there should be plenty of animals, despite the overall antelope tag reductions. IIRC, after speaking to the biologist out of Casper, a handful of herds in that area were doing ever so slightly better than others. I'm far from an expert, but suggest finding spots with some spring seeps or even just some greener grass in a ditch or gulch that once held some water earlier in the year. These can be as small as a basketball court and actually show up pretty well when glassing, as the grass will contrast with the sage. These also can show up sometimes on online aerial imagery if matched with terrain. I found the pronghorn relating to such spots to feed on the greens, and using the gulches as travel corridors. Then, once you find a shooter, use those gulches and broken terrain to hide you as you make your move and get on em. Not all units have as many broken terrain features like that, but I think where you're going there will be enough.

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
32 is one of the areas doing well actually for pronghorn. Muddy Mtn is good for access and the walk in areas too.
Might see some prairie rattlers if it is warm, lots in that area.

The new ranch will probably be an HMA, nothing is set yet because our Gov that doesn't want to get re elected is challenging the purchase.

Not sure I would say stay in Medicine Bow, lots of wind farm workers and the folks running the motel last few years are iffy at best, unless they have left. Better look into lodging now as elk and deer season may be open then too.

Great fishing nearby too.

Swedishhunter

Jun 24, 2016
32 is one of the areas doing well actually for pronghorn. Muddy Mtn is good for access and the walk in areas too.
Might see some prairie rattlers if it is warm, lots in that area.

The new ranch will probably be an HMA, nothing is set yet because our Gov that doesn't want to get re elected is challenging the purchase.

Not sure I would say stay in Medicine Bow, lots of wind farm workers and the folks running the motel last few years are iffy at best, unless they have left. Better look into lodging now as elk and deer season may be open then too.

Great fishing nearby too.
Thanks, that sounds encouraging. Have booked B&B lodging on a ranch right next to the North Platte so some fishing is definitely on the agenda too. My younger son (13) did not draw a tag but he will be bringing some fishing gear!