2021 WY Quality

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
I talked with the game warden in unit 75 today and when I asked him about 75"+ goats he paused and said "there isn't many". I'm not expecting to see a lot of goats that size but his take on the trophy potential wasn't real rosy. There has to be a couple in that much country and I'm giving myself a week to find one and if I don't I will eat the tag as I've done so often in the past. Gonna have an awesome time whether I fill a tag or not as I'll be with great friends and we will be doing some fishing in and around Thermopolis as well. Thanks for the feedback and good luck to you all this fall.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I talked with the game warden in unit 75 today and when I asked him about 75"+ goats he paused and said "there isn't many". I'm not expecting to see a lot of goats that size but his take on the trophy potential wasn't real rosy. There has to be a couple in that much country and I'm giving myself a week to find one and if I don't I will eat the tag as I've done so often in the past. Gonna have an awesome time whether I fill a tag or not as I'll be with great friends and we will be doing some fishing in and around Thermopolis as well. Thanks for the feedback and good luck to you all this fall.
Was he in the Dodge pickup? I saw one glassing me when I was stalking a buck in 67 on Thursday I wasn't far from 75. Seen him twice but he just drove on by (probably laughing about me ) :)

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Just saw an article about EHD killing deer and antelope in several areas of Wyoming. I think we are going to see further reductions next year. Looked like it was impacting the eastern half of the state mainly.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I literally just arrived in Casper, I drove across 90 to Gillette and south through Midwest to Casper. It’s been 4 years since I’ve made this drive and in my opinion the Antelope population seems to be at most 50% of what I remember. I really hope I am wrong. Did see some really good bucks though.

Reactions: accubond

accubond

Sep 13, 2011
Hamburg, mn
Was he in the Dodge pickup? I saw one glassing me when I was stalking a buck in 67 on Thursday I wasn't far from 75. Seen him twice but he just drove on by (probably laughing about me ) :)
I'm pretty sure he told me he drives a green Chevy so it must have been somebody else laughing at you;). How have things been looking in 67?

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
I'm pretty sure he told me he drives a green Chevy so it must have been somebody else laughing at you;). How have things been looking in 67?
Fun, flustrating, ....fun, flustrating..... :)

Should have filled my tag but 2 inches to low.

Found this guy wonder if he was part of the EHD thing.... (this area isnt on the map though)

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Nice buck and I hope it isn't EHD ! How has overall quality looked?
Im not sure how to compare it as this is my first time in the unit. I saw lots of bucks, most where low 70 type bucks, some younger ones, and I have seen 3 or 4 that where real nice. I thought the numbers where decent in certain parts of the unit. The big bucks where still all by themselves while the others where gathering the does up as the rut approaches. (thought that was kinda strange) Only a couple rattlers seen, not much pressure, and overall good hunt. Did get some bucks to come into my bow mounted decoy and actually missed the one when I was using it (miss judged the distance and excitement).

Reactions: accubond

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
After 1 day of hunting near Laramie yesterday, I refuse to fill my tag. We found a mature buck for my son who's a second year hunter, but we will make no attempt to fill a doe tag, and I couldn't even bring myself to put a round in my chamber for my buck tag.
One area we sat and glassed from we could cover roughly 4 sections with 3 active windmills, 2 ponds and in all that country we seen 1 doe with a fawn. Several other large areas would have 1 buck with maybe 3-5 does, and other areas that looked like great Antelope country were void of any animals.

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
After 1 day of hunting near Laramie yesterday, I refuse to fill my tag. We found a mature buck for my son who's a second year hunter, but we will make no attempt to fill a doe tag, and I couldn't even bring myself to put a round in my chamber for my buck tag.
One area we sat and glassed from we could cover roughly 4 sections with 3 active windmills, 2 ponds and in all that country we seen 1 doe with a fawn. Several other large areas would have 1 buck with maybe 3-5 does, and other areas that looked like great Antelope country were void of any animals.
Pretty sad when the GF issues more tags than there are animals available in the unit. Its sad how bad things are getting with pronghorn in the Laramie area.

Its to the point there needs to be a total season closure for a few years.

I think you probably have the same tag I do...I'm tossing my buck and 2 doe tags in the garbage and my wife is tossing 2 doe tags as well for the same unit. Pathetic when I'm having to address piss poor management by applying for tags I have no intent to hunt, just to save some animals.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I definitely agree with Buzz's comments above. Where there historically were hundreds of antelope in the Laramie Plains there are vast savannah's with hardly an animal. The same thing is true stretching from Laramie to Rawlins....and from Rawlins north in Central Wyo. It's the worse I've seen for antelope numbers in that area since the horrible back to back winters in I believe the late 80's! Unfortunately if the WG&F cuts numbers it means less revenue for them plus a longer wait for hunters to draw tags. I really think it's worth the short-term sacrifice of eliminating tags (especially doe tags) in areas where numbers are incredibly low. Something also needs to be figured out immediately why antelope fawn recruitment is so low!

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
In the area that I hunt in central Wyo, I have seen a general decline in antelope numbers in the last 5 years. In prior years a hunter could get quite a few type 6 (doe/fawn) tags, up to 5 or 6 in some years. The last couple of years, there have been none. I am sure this, along with more moisture, will help rebuild the population. The good thing about it is that this will have less impact on the money the state gets as the type 6 tag is really inexpensive.

Reactions: RICMIC

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
The area my daughter and I hunted this year didn’t have tons of antelope but there were a lot of fawns, lots of twins. We were just west of Casper and I have never hunted this are prior to this year so I can’t say if the population is up or down.

Reactions: Prerylyon