Ammo

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
If we get through this most recent shortage, anyone “not” prepaired for the next long term shortage or worse yet - ammo banning......had better spend some money and purchase your expected lifetime needs.

It’s would have been far less expensive and less stressful had everyone been preparing for these events for many years.....or a lifetime! The “writting has been on the wall” since the 1968 Gun Control Law! Costs aside, it’s never too late......until it is! memtb
folks been saying that since guns were invented. some will prepare , most never will.

when the shit hits the fan most will die of and maybe , just maybe , sanity will return to our species.

Reactions: memtb

memtb

folks been saying that since guns were invented. some will prepare , most never will.

when the shit hits the fan most will die of and maybe , just maybe , sanity will return to our species.

Sadly....this applies to most every aspect of many people’s lives! How many had more than a few days worth of TP when the covid scare hit us? I guess it’s a form of Darwinism! 😢 memtb

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I did an inventory of my loading stuff a while back, 6500 primers for rifle, 2000 for pistols, 60 pounds of powder, 13,000 bullets, at least 3-4 hundred brass for every rifle in the house. Have around 100 loaded for every rifle/pistol in the house. 500 or so rounds of .410, 28, 12 for all my shotguns (which I don't shoot much anymore), 5K .22 rimfire.

I was actually surprised I had that much as I did ZERO panic buying and up until a few weeks ago, I had not bought anything ammo or reloading wise in nearly 3 years. I bought 6 boxes of Hornady ammo to go with my nephews new tikka 7-08 I picked up for him, mainly for the brass.

Just accumulates over time I guess.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Sadly....this applies to most every aspect of many people’s lives! How many had more than a few days worth of TP when the covid scare hit us? I guess it’s a form of Darwinism! 😢 memtb
yeah and all them hoarders that emptied the shelves , how big is their tp supply now ??????????? or food , water??????

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I did an inventory of my loading stuff a while back, 6500 primers for rifle, 2000 for pistols, 60 pounds of powder, 13,000 bullets, at least 3-4 hundred brass for every rifle in the house. Have around 100 loaded for every rifle/pistol in the house. 500 or so rounds of .410, 28, 12 for all my shotguns (which I don't shoot much anymore), 5K .22 rimfire.

I was actually surprised I had that much as I did ZERO panic buying and up until a few weeks ago, I had not bought anything ammo or reloading wise in nearly 3 years. I bought 6 boxes of Hornady ammo to go with my nephews new tikka 7-08 I picked up for him, mainly for the brass.

Just accumulates over time I guess.
cool . now everyone knows where to break in. ;) 🤪

I say that as a joke but seriously those who have it really shouldn't tell those that don't where it will be.

Reactions: marcusvdk

memtb

yeah and all them hoarders that emptied the shelves , how big is their tp supply now ??????????? or food , water??????

Not certain about hoarders, but, intellegent “preppers” do not have to compete with the “unwashed masses” during a shortage....they, over years, accumulated the items needed to sustain themselves during the majority of crisises or shortages. I would suggest that anyone under the age of 25 or so may be forgiven for not being properly prepared. Though, if they were paying attention to history and/or world events......they would be diligently working toward a degree of prepardness in almost all aspects!

On the subject of tp, we’re sitting on, pun intended, on about a 3 year supply.....which we had prior to the covid scare induced shortage. However, it amazed me that people completely lost their minds over a tp shortage. I guess they weren’t intelligent enough to use a soft, cotton cloth for “butt wipe”, wash and reuse.....the way we did with cloth diapers prior to Pampers! memtb

Last edited:
Reactions: kidoggy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Have to wash and rinse a piece of cloth after you used it to wipe off, that's sacrilege...

I mentioned that to some friends who were unprepared last year when the TP shortage hit. You should of seen the look on the wife's face when I mentioned it. Perhaps I should of suggested that they save the corncobs after having a good meal of corn on the cob.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Have to wash and rinse a piece of cloth after you used it to wipe off, that's sacrilege...

I mentioned that to some friends who were unprepared last year when the TP shortage hit. You should of seen the look on the wife's face when I mentioned it. Perhaps I should of suggested that they save the corncobs after having a good meal of corn on the cob.
was gonna say, a pine cone will do in a pinch.
but I shit so hard no wipin is necesary. :rolleyes: 🤪 :D

Reactions: memtb

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
The frustrating thing is the lack of premium hunting rounds. I have enough for most rifles but am short for my 12 year olds .243. He is a year away from outgrowing the rifle/caliber so haven't bought his in bulk. Have had a couple boxes on order for 6 months through a factory source. Hoping they come through soon. I have a backup option if not.

memtb

The frustrating thing is the lack of premium hunting rounds. I have enough for most rifles but am short for my 12 year olds .243. He is a year away from outgrowing the rifle/caliber so haven't bought his in bulk. Have had a couple boxes on order for 6 months through a factory source. Hoping they come through soon. I have a backup option if not.
If you have a rifle that will fit him, perhaps it’s not too late to develope a low recoil load that will work for him. At reduced velocities, most any typical cup and core bullet will work well. The negative is, his range will be somewhat limited by the reduced velocity and “rainbow” trajectory! memtb