The Memes Thread!

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I bought and paid cash for a brand new Nissan/ Datsun PU truck in 1985 from hauling hay. I think that was the most to date money I have made. 1,000 to 1,200 bales a day 6 day a week. Would make $325.00 to $350.00 a week. Of course it took two years saving and the new truck was $4,800.00 and all it had in it was ac. It did not even have a radio. I was a kid working harder than most men.

I got to let you in on a funny story.
Me and a buddy knew an old man that cut and bailed hay for a living. He worked 6 days a week. We went to him and ask to go to work for him. He said I have two crews that work for him. Talked him into giving us a chance. After the first week he asked are you boys willing to stay with me all season. We told him we could handle all he could put on the ground. He let one of the crews go. After the second week he asked again are you sure you will stay with me. We told him we will load the bales as they fall out of the baler. Then he the other crew go. The two older guys showed up wanting to fight. I said you guys might want to think about fighting us. The one mouthy guy said "why the hell you say that". I said you are fixing to fight two guys that just took your job because we can out work you. Odds are you are fixing to get an arse whipping. They both shook their heads and turned around a walked off.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I remember those hay hauling days as a kid! We couldn’t wait to get off work and go swim in the river. Where I grew up you either worked on a farm or logged in the summer. I chose farm work, I didn't think I was tough enough to set chokers. Hard work builds character.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
We would peel popular until noon while the hay dried and then bail hay until dark. Usually we would put up 1000 or more each day. It was not uncommon and we didn’t think it was anything special because that’s what everyone did. After almost 30 years of being employed by corporate America, I miss the simplicity and honesty of those days, there’s something rewarding at the end of the day to be able to see the large stack of hay that you put up.