Canada/US border opening

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
It looks like it's official; the border is opening to US folks crossing into Canada effective August 9th. Proof of vaccination is required. I have a fly-in fishing trip scheduled for August 14th, and am waiting for the outfitter to verify that the trip is a go. This trip was a back-up plan after my arctic canoe trip was cancelled, and when it looked like this wasn't going to happen I started looking at an additional hunting trip this fall in CO or WY. Will keep my fingers crossed, guns or fishing rods cleaned oiled, and ready.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Man that's great news. I have some friends that own a cabin on a lake in NW Ontario and they haven't been able to get to it since the pandemic started. Fortunately, they have a great neighbor who is taking care of the place (mowing grass, pest control, etc).

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I couldn't locate the fishing thread, so will post this trip here. 3 of us made the drive to the Pigeon River entry to Canada early on Aug. 14th. There were only about 6 vehicles in front of us, and each took about 10 minutes to clear customs. All our papers were in order and we passed on thru without the strip and cavity search. It was another 175 miles further north to Armstrong, Ontario and Thunderhook Outfitters. We were the first crew to fly in to the 10,000 acre lake 75 miles further north this season. The facilities had been completely upgraded and the fishing was phenominal. The water was warm and down 2', and there was always a smoke haze in the air. The fish didn't just jump into the boat, but it was my best week of walleye fishing ever. 4 guys from So. Carolina flew in with us on the Otter and were dropped off at the camp on the south end of the Lake. They kept a fish count and lost track at 600, with the biggest walleye at 28" and northern pike at 38".
We have been to this camp before, and in the spring catch more walleyes, but they tend to be post spawn males at 15-17", but the big northerns are very aggressive in the shallow bays. My biggest pike on the one spring trip I made was 40". I also got a 21" Brook Trout, and my partner a 23". This year my biggest walleye was 24", but caught 30+ that were 21-23 1/2", and scads of 18-21" It was tough to catch fish small enough to eat. We could have made a fabulous "kept everything" stringer photo like they did in the old days, but of course most of the fish were released. 7 days on the lake, great cabin with full facilities,
ice, 16' Lund boats, 15 HP 4-stroke motors...$1,425. The price goes up or down depending on which outpost camp you go to and how far the flight is. I'm not trying to sell the camp, and they are already fully booked for next year with 1,100 clients.
Here's a pic of me holding a few walleyes for the freezer (to take home) and for dinner.IMG_2063 (2).JPG

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Man do I ever love eating Walleye.

Especially the ones out of those Canadian lakes.

Thanks for sharing your trip!

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
I've been to Canada fishing several times and always managed to catch a respectable number and size but dang we never caught them like that. Our best (3 to a boat) is around 180 for a day. My personal best walleye is 25".

Reactions: RICMIC

marcusvdk

Veteran member
Dec 13, 2011
Michigan
I couldn't locate the fishing thread, so will post this trip here. 3 of us made the drive to the Pigeon River entry to Canada early on Aug. 14th. There were only about 6 vehicles in front of us, and each took about 10 minutes to clear customs. All our papers were in order and we passed on thru without the strip and cavity search. It was another 175 miles further north to Armstrong, Ontario and Thunderhook Outfitters. We were the first crew to fly in to the 10,000 acre lake 75 miles further north this season. The facilities had been completely upgraded and the fishing was phenominal. The water was warm and down 2', and there was always a smoke haze in the air. The fish didn't just jump into the boat, but it was my best week of walleye fishing ever. 4 guys from So. Carolina flew in with us on the Otter and were dropped off at the camp on the south end of the Lake. They kept a fish count and lost track at 600, with the biggest walleye at 28" and northern pike at 38".
We have been to this camp before, and in the spring catch more walleyes, but they tend to be post spawn males at 15-17", but the big northerns are very aggressive in the shallow bays. My biggest pike on the one spring trip I made was 40". I also got a 21" Brook Trout, and my partner a 23". This year my biggest walleye was 24", but caught 30+ that were 21-23 1/2", and scads of 18-21" It was tough to catch fish small enough to eat. We could have made a fabulous "kept everything" stringer photo like they did in the old days, but of course most of the fish were released. 7 days on the lake, great cabin with full facilities,
ice, 16' Lund boats, 15 HP 4-stroke motors...$1,425. The price goes up or down depending on which outpost camp you go to and how far the flight is. I'm not trying to sell the camp, and they are already fully booked for next year with 1,100 clients.
Here's a pic of me holding a few walleyes for the freezer (to take home) and for dinner.View attachment 36397
Looks like a great trip