Range Finding Binos?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Do you guys run range finding binos? Or traditional binos with separate range finder?

lukew

Administrator
Jul 1, 2019
Thanks for the replies guys! Always interesting to see what guys do for a setup.

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
I have Leica geovids. I have had them about 10 years. Just sent them back to factory to have them gone thru. I think it is handy to have the range finder in a binocular. I am not an archer so I never have to grab them with one hand.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
I have separate binoc and rangefinder, but once I don’t have anything better to spend my money on I’ll buy a pair of Swaro EL range.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I bought a Leica combo a couple years ago and LOVE them! No more fumbling back and forth between binos and rangefinder. It takes a fraction of a second to press a button and get the distance to critters. A few seconds may be the difference between harvesting an animal and him escaping! My Leicas have ballistics set up for my rifle caliber, bullet, etc. It also accounts for elevation gain/loss.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
Not to start a controvercy but for almost all western situations 10x binos plus a spotter are the way to go. I'm not a coues hunter so see no need for 15x. They are to big to hand hold and to small to field judge game. 15x would be great for around a truck or for sitting in one spot all day long but I'd hate to have to lug them around plus a spotter to field judge. They would also be nearly impossible to hand hold while stalking and glassing.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a Swaro combo like I mentioned earlier. The ones I have (I've had them about 15 years or so) are not made anymore. When I bought mine they were about $1,000. They were on sale at Cabela's for $800 with free shipping. I also had a card that said if I spent over $ 750 or more I would save an additional $100. So they ended up costing $700. My wife bought them for me for Christmas. They are great and I have had no problems with them. Swaro did recall them once and did some kind of an upgrade. They are 8x and the RF goes out to 1500 to 2000 yds, depending on conditions. I really like them, they do a great job.

I looked at their website and the new ones are almost $4000! I would have a hard time justifying that much money.

Reactions: Winchester

BKC

Very Active Member
Feb 15, 2012
The high plains of Colorado
Sent my binos off to the factory to have them gone thru. They are about 10 years old and I thought they were losing some clarity. It took almost 4 months to get them back. They went to NJ and then to Europe to get worked on. They said they did it that way because of covid. New armor and eye cups. Everything else was disassembled and cleaned. Very crisp and clear now. I decided that this would be better than selling my old ones and updating with new.20210420_174249.jpg

Reactions: Winchester