Trophy Tree

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
That’s a great way to display a bunch of skulls? Is that a skull hooker trophy tree or did you make it yourself? I’ve thought of trying to make one myself but not sure of what materials to use.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
That’s a great way to display a bunch of skulls? Is that a skull hooker trophy tree or did you make it yourself? I’ve thought of trying to make one myself but not sure of what materials to use.
yes it is. They are much cheaper buying them off Amazon than direct! I called the company thinking they’d match the price and put more net money in there pocket but no such luck.
honestky wouldn’t be difficult to make one. 👍

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Home Depot and Lowe's has stacks of them.

I have Thought about using a 4x4 Cedar post and then trimming off the edges. You can then use a skull hooker or one of the other hangers out there to mount the skulls.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I like the small, clean look of the skull hooker metal pipe and black paint. It makes the skull and antlers stand out nicely.

I've been piecing together a way to build a skull tree at the fraction of the cost. Metal pipe with threads on one end, metal flange, strapping tape, and black speckled paint is fairly cheap at Home Depot. Drill a hole in the pipe and screw a bracket into the pipe to attach each skull. I have old brake drums that should be plenty heavy to support the pole or possibly bolt the flange to a wood base. I'm pretty sure this ought to work.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For a DIY hanger Dead On Display Skull Hanger might work better if you plan on using a pipe since their mounting is smaller and more vertical.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I ordered mine off Amazon. It’s the original and was 30% cheaper Then buying direct and very simple to put together. Not sure you save any money building going this route unless you just wanted a custom look

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
For a DIY tree you are pretty much going to have to be a little bit handy with some tools to get a good looking one. The base will be the hardest part but anything from a brake drum to just a piece of steel could be used for it, that is if you can weld and have a welder handy that you can use. A 6 or 7 foot piece of pipe is fairly cheap along with a couple cans of paint. The expensive thing would be the hangers themselves. If you go with the one that I linked to you are looking at $23 for each one, so for 4 of them you would be out $90. I didn't look at the Skull Hooker site to see what is included with their tree.

I am pretty much a metal scrounger. If I see a piece of angle iron, I beam or anything else that I can pick up I will. My neighbor laughs at me for it but when he comes over and ask if I can do something we head out to my scrap area and I start putting things together.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
For a DIY tree you are pretty much going to have to be a little bit handy with some tools to get a good looking one. The base will be the hardest part but anything from a brake drum to just a piece of steel could be used for it, that is if you can weld and have a welder handy that you can use. A 6 or 7 foot piece of pipe is fairly cheap along with a couple cans of paint. The expensive thing would be the hangers themselves. If you go with the one that I linked to you are looking at $23 for each one, so for 4 of them you would be out $90. I didn't look at the Skull Hooker site to see what is included with their tree.

I am pretty much a metal scrounger. If I see a piece of angle iron, I beam or anything else that I can pick up I will. My neighbor laughs at me for it but when he comes over and ask if I can do something we head out to my scrap area and I start putting things together.
The tree comes with 5 hangers. 👍

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
I ended up ordering a trophy tree at a discount. Should be very nice! The cost of a DIY is cheaper (metal post $25, flange $7, hangers $2 x 5+$10) but it would save time building a platform and be a lot classier looking.

jimss

Jun 10, 2012
They have a few trees that are on discount on Amazon for $114 + free shipping. I bought 2 more! They look great and that's a good deal!