First time out West hunting

Ambient_Andy

Jan 11, 2021
Southern Michigan
My hunting buddy wants to go to Idaho in September for wolf hunting and I’ve never hunted outside the Mid West and I’m looking for any pointers I can get or maybe even a lease for a week but I know nothing about the state, more specifically if there is an area of the state that’s better than another during the fall. If we can’t find a lease to rent, I would be all for public land, but once again I’m clueless and if someone could at least point me in the right direction that would be awesome

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Hunting will be mostly public land on USFS managed lands. I doubt that there are any areas that you would call leased areas.
Wolf hunting can be very hit or missed. A friend has some property where he parks a a trailer on during the summer and hunting season in central Idaho and while he sees wolves he has yet been able to shoot one

Ambient_Andy

Jan 11, 2021
Southern Michigan
Got ya, that’s kind of what I figured from looking online is public land is probably the way to go. I was more or less trying to figure out the best part of the state. And from my reading online I found that it looks like if I buy a non-resident mule deer tag I can use that for mule deer, black bear, mountain lion or a wolf. It looked like the wolf tag was cheaper but I’m pretty sure we’ll be there during mule deer bow season and hopefully during bear season as well

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You will need a tag for each animal and not just one.

At least that is the way that it used to be, I haven't hunted Idaho in over 30 years.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I believe you can use your non res deer tag for a wolf OR a mtn lion but if you do you can NOT also use it for deer.

but don't take my word double check the regs.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I am just wondering if I am the only person who was so OCD that they had to look up the "word" "Ahsential". lol

Ambient_Andy

Jan 11, 2021
Southern Michigan
I believe you can use your non res deer tag for a wolf OR a mtn lion but if you do you can NOT also use it for deer.

but don't take my word double check the regs.
I had to go back and check my wording, but yes the way I read it was you can use it for 1 not 1 of the other plus a deer and that makes sense because guys would use that tag for a bear and mule deer and for that price do it every year.