Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I always prefered sportsmans to cabelas . sorry to see this happen . oh well..... one less choice to make now.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Got to say the Sportsman's in Cheyenne and Sheridan are the two I went to on occasion, and they didn't impress me, so no real loss to me.
Since the demise of Cabelas I've primarily been buying through a local gun shop here in Cheyenne or online at a handful of different sites.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I was at the Sportsman in Soldotna, Ak in 2019 and it was one of the best SW I have ever been in. Lots of merchandise and fair prices.
that's how I always felt about the one in boise. cabelas had good sales but day to day sportsmans was generally cheaper . at least on items I buy

Reactions: idcwby

Bullcan

Oct 6, 2016
Will have to wait and see what happens. We just had a Sportsmans Whse open in SW MIchigan ( former Field and Stream store ).

Reactions: marcusvdk

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon
These days I am more and more going to the small Ma and Pa sporting goods. Few and far between and you will pay a few more bucks but I just can't throw any more cash at a big box store with rotten service and some of the dumbest employees.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
These days I am more and more going to the small Ma and Pa sporting goods. Few and far between and you will pay a few more bucks but I just can't throw any more cash at a big box store with rotten service and some of the dumbest employees.
I couldn't agree more, but the problem is in my general area most of the small shops have already lost the battle and had to close.

Reactions: DRUSS and idcwby

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I believe there is a place for a small retailer in today's "big box" retail world. .

You have to do what they can't do. Hire good people, sell good merchandise and offer service, service, service! Big box stores don't repair anything they sell. Get involved with the community and your target market. There are lots of thing a small retailer can do to stay in business and compete, you just have to be smarter than your competition.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I believe there is a place for a small retailer in today's "big box" retail world. .

You have to do what they can't do. Hire good people, sell good merchandise and offer service, service, service! Big box stores don't repair anything they sell. Get involved with the community and your target market. There are lots of thing a small retailer can do to stay in business and compete, you just have to be smarter than your competition.
one way to be smarter is stop supporting them

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
From what I have heard Scheels is a great store, however I doubt that I'll see one within a 100 miles of me in the future.

But it is looking like we are going to get a Murdoch's here this coming spring down in Glenwood Springs, Colorado. I looked at their web site and it looks like they carry a pretty good selection of outdoor goods, firearms, and reloading supplies.

Reactions: taskswap

badgerbob

May 18, 2015
Eastern Oregon

Cowboy, that reminded me of something that happened once that kind of follows. The trailer for my four wheeler came down with a broken weld on one of the finders. I took it to a local welder who was well spoken of. He pulled out a wire feed and went to work, fixing it better than it originally was. I asked how much I owed him and he said one dollar. I told him that wasn't enough and he should charge more. This guy must be close to 80. He looks at me and says, you know I have made a good living fixing things that were supposed to be thrown away and not charging an arm and a leg for doing it.. Almost everyone in town went to him. Good example of what you are saying....oh I gave him a five because I didn't have anything smaller....

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook