Preparing for a Western Hunt

memtb

I thought this may be a good place to post this. Many questions are asked pertaining to.....what equipment, sleeping bags/clothing ect., are suggested for a western hunt. Many cannot appreciate the temperature extremes we can enjoy. This is only late October, and our home is only at 4200 feet above sea level. While unusal.....this is this mornings temps in our area.I ‘ve had other Late October hunts that could be done in shorts and tee shirt. When you venture to our country to hunt ....be prepared for most anything!

If I do any shooting today....I may need “magnum” primers! 🤔

These photos are from a local NOAA report, and the other from our home weather station. We actually hit a -13 F, but I failed to get the photo! 🤬 memtb

Reactions: dan maule

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
I thought this may be a good place to post this. Many questions are asked pertaining to.....what equipment, sleeping bags/clothing ect., are suggested for a western hunt. Many cannot appreciate the temperature extremes we can enjoy. This is only late October, and our home is only at 4200 feet above sea level. While unusal.....this is this mornings temps in our area.I ‘ve had other Late October hunts that could be done in shorts and tee shirt. When you venture to our country to hunt ....be prepared for most anything!

These photos are from a local NOAA report, and the other from our home weather station. We actually hit a -13 F, but I failed to get the photo! 🤬 memtb

Is that a record low for Worland? Very early in the year to see temperatures like that. I've hunted in the southern big horns at least 10 times in mid October and the weather is always a total crap shoot. When we first started going I would print out the 7 day forecast before I left home. By day two it was totally useless and almost always totally opposite of the forecast.

memtb

Is that a record low for Worland? Very early in the year to see temperatures like that. I've hunted in the southern big horns at least 10 times in mid October and the weather is always a total crap shoot. When we first started going I would print out the 7 day forecast before I left home. By day two it was totally useless and almost always totally opposite of the forecast.
My wife and I were just discussing wheter or not it would be a record. I’m guessing it may be.....pretty early to get this cool!

These temperatures are the reason that I started this thread.....many visitors to the Rockies, cannot fathom the potential temperature swings we can see here! Something like we just experienced can ruin a hunt or even worse for the unprepared! memtb

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
My wife and I were just discussing wheter or not it would be a record. I’m guessing it may be.....pretty early to get this cool!

These temperatures are the reason that I started this thread.....many visitors to the Rockies, cannot fathom the potential temperature swings we can see here! Something like we just experienced can ruin a hunt or even worse for the unprepared! memtb
My wife always thought I was crazy when I would pack for my Wyoming trips. I basically took every piece clothing that I owned, 90% of the time I would only use 1/4 of it but you never know what you're going get.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I've hunted Wyoming since 1980. October is always a crap shoot. I've seen it be 80 at noon and it would cloud up, temps drop, wind, snow and be down to 5 degrees the same night. Back up to 70 a couple of days later. Best advice is be prepared for anything. If it really gets cold, you can put heavy clothes on. If it gets hot, take them off. If you don't have them, freeze your ass off!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
And don't forget your vehicle. Chains, shovel, and a high lift jack at the very least. Tow chains are a plus, not to mention a winch with something to anchor it to. In a pinch I have used the high lift jack buried into the sand or dirt.

For western hunting it is always best to plan for the worst and hope for the best or somewhere in the middle.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
My wife is in NW Colorado right now. It's consistently been -5F to -10F at base camp for several days, a foot of snow, and moderate winds. Chains, air down a bit (not as much as for sand!) to get through heavy snow, carry traction boards (total life savers!) and lots and lots of emergency gear.

Maybe I go a little overkill. But our truck basically has a whole hardware store floating around back there. You never know what you're going to run into, or what it's going to be like "tomorrow".

memtb

Western (Wyoming) weather update....clothing related. Our season opened 11/1, we’re camped @ 7000 feet , the morning lows for the last two mornings were 30 and 27. Today’s high will be around 70. As I type ( linked to cell phone) we’re sitting @7500 feet. I’m down to a tee shirt and wishing I were in short pants ( they’re at camp)and tennis shoes. It’s supposed to remain this way for about 4 more days. Then....snow and falling temperatures. Monday morning low predicted to be 2 degrees.

This was posted just to reinerate that you must be prepared for most any weather conditions. Most have already made your hunts already, but, those thinking about hunting next year.....think about the posts that have been concerning the variable weather conditions you may encounter on a western hunt!

Good Luck to all! memtb

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Clothing aside, one of the smartest things I ever did was to make sure I always packed BOTH an orange ball cap and orange fleece beanie. I feel like I change hats more than any other article of clothing. You sit long on a windy hill @ 35 in a ball cap and you'll lose your ears to frostbite if all you have is a ball cap. But two hours later you can be hiking up the next ridge with the sun on you and no wind and just be drowning in sweat if you're wearing fleece. General hiking it's no big deal - just take your hat off. But if you're hunting and NEED that orange on, and your only orange is made of fleece, that's a bad day...

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado

I assume by your comment you reload. Magnum primers can be substituted for regular primers in most cases. They were developed for use in large capacity, slow burning powders to get better burn rates. The only time I would not due it is when a load is at maximum. In non magnum loads it will cause a hotter powder burn and could increase pressure slightly. I load magnum primers in ALL my rifle loads except my .220 AI Swift which is at maximum now.