WY 46-2

Aug 5, 2012
West & East ND
Just seeing if anyone has any experience at all with this unit. Going to be hunting Simpson Ridge HMA. First goat hunt ever, taking my dad out from ND for his first goat as well. I’ve been calling biologists and talked with some locals but figured can’t hurt to post here.

Starting to realize they may be herded up by the time we go, Oct 14-18th and realizing snow or rain will shut down ranch roads in the HMA. Just looking to get a buck to represent the area for the freezer, not trophy hunting. Feel free to pm if you have any pointers or something a guy should be aware of.

Thanks in advance

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I've hunted that hma many times but not in the last 8 years. I also went a month earlier.
At that time pressure was pretty heavy and the antelope pushed hard. But they are scattered pretty evenly throughout the area.
Never hunted more than 2 days to fill 3 buck and 3 doe tags. Lots of space away from the roads you can glass to. Never saw anyone else walking.
Unless things have changed or the later time makes a difference you'll do just fine.
Did seem to see more on the west side.

Reactions: Multi-SpeciesHunter

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
Tried to send a PM as well last week but it wouldn't work either. Hope you had a good hunt.

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
I wish Multi-SpeciesHunter would report back, I don't quite understand how some hunters come here asking for help, get it and not report back. I had a buddy go to 46 this past season and he said it was tough hunting and he didn't see many antelope at all. I wonder if MSH experienced the same?

zpooch

Very Active Member
Aug 11, 2016
Wyoming
Same thing for me. I didn't make it out much but didn't feel I needed to shoot one with they very low numbers I saw when I did get out. Old timer I talked to said he hasn't ever seen it that bad as far as low numbers go

Kevin W

Jan 26, 2013
Not a premier unit by a long ways and fairly easy to draw. But dang my buddy said his hunt was terrible, absolutely void of antelope. I wonder if 47 and 48 were bad as well?

Reactions: shootbrownelk