Win M70

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
Hello all! I just recently acquired a Winchester Model 70 chambered in 7mm Rem Mag. Judging by the serial number it appears to have been manufactured around 1973. Good, solid rifle with proof that it has been taken out to the field.

Now the question is, which optic for it??? My current options are any Leupold w/ CDS, Leupold VX2 LR reticle or Leupold VX3 w/ Boone & Crockett reticle.

Let me know what you all think. Thanks

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have that exact same rifle, right down to the year of purchase. I put a Redfield Widefield 3x9 on it way back then and it has taken deer, elk, and even bison w/o fail. Today I would be content to put a VX3 with Boone & Crocket reticle on it. It was never a MOA shooter until I did a little sanding on the stock under the barrel; the intent was to glass bed it afterwords, but it now shot so well that I have left it alone. I've moved on to other rifles, but my son still uses it.

Reactions: prhunter

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I have that exact same rifle, right down to the year of purchase. I put a Redfield Widefield 3x9 on it way back then and it has taken deer, elk, and even bison w/o fail. Today I would be content to put a VX3 with Boone & Crocket reticle on it. It was never a MOA shooter until I did a little sanding on the stock under the barrel; the intent was to glass bed it afterwords, but it now shot so well that I have left it alone. I've moved on to other rifles, but my son still uses it.
What ammo did you use for elk and bison?

memtb

We’re big Leupold fans. More Leupolds at our home than any other scope brand. We had 2.5-8 Vari-x 3’s on our Winchester Model 70 rifles (heavy recoil rifles) for over tweny years, without a hiccup! We, several years ago, upgraded power-wise, to 3.5-10 CDS scopes....and are very happy. We use Leupold Quick Release system on our rifles, and our old 2.5-8’s are now carried as our back-up scope......should the need every arise! memtb

Rich M

Very Active Member
Oct 16, 2012
Was disappointed in a VX3i - it would shoot 2-3 inches at 250, my 10-15 yo VX2 will shoot 1-1.5 inches at 250 - same ammo, same shooter, same Model 70.

Sold the VX3i when I couldn't get Leupold Custom Shop to do anything (new reticle) cause they've been closed like forever - shame they lost me like that.

Have a new Elite 4500 4-16 or the VX-2 to use on there - need to make up my mind and get it going.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I’ve had issues with the CDS when shooting and dialing a lot. I’m still a Leupold fan but will stick to reticles like the B&C or VH in them. Their warranty is amazing, they took care of the ones that had erector problems. I sold them for Huskemaws on the few rifles I dial elevation on. I still have Leupold VX II, VX III and VX3 scopes without the CDS I use on other rifles without any complaint.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
It was never a MOA shooter until I did a little sanding on the stock under the barrel; the intent was to glass bed it afterwords, but it now shot so well that I have left it alone.
I am interested in doing something similar with the stock with the intent of free floating the barrel. I'll let you know how it comes out.

Reactions: RICMIC

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I’ve had issues with the CDS when shooting and dialing a lot. I’m still a Leupold fan but will stick to reticles like the B&C or VH in them. Their warranty is amazing, they took care of the ones that had erector problems. I sold them for Huskemaws on the few rifles I dial elevation on. I still have Leupold VX II, VX III and VX3 scopes without the CDS I use on other rifles without any complaint.
What kind of issues. I have CDS on all my Leupolds and have never had any problem with them.