For the Big Bore Guys

memtb

I got a Marlin Guide Gun (45-70) about 6 years ago, and a bullet mold for casting bullets. Far too much work around the place, and other issues prevented me from doing anything with my new, now old gun! Two years ago, finally got some bullets cast. That was were the process stopped, until the last week or so.

About a week ago, I got the bullets powder coated, and sized. Stuffed 5 cases, with an internet “relatively” light load, to verify feeding reliability, monitor pressure indications, and attempt to get it on paper. All appeared well with those 5 rounds, so, bumped the load up a bit. I shot 5 more rounds, this was the result. First shot, high right, adjusted scope.....and shot the next 4 rounds. Velocity decent, group pretty good, recoil pretty mild..... 430 grain WNFP @ 1790 fps should make a good timber gun. memtb

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
A lot of cowboy action shooters use 45-70 for their long range shooting in matches. I used to shoot one, but black powder. 3031 powder is very popular. Your results look great.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
You need a buffalo hunt! ;)

always thought taking a bison with the .458 Lott would be pretty cool, I think it's pretty close to the .45-110 or .45-120 from back in the day...

Reactions: memtb

memtb

I
You need a buffalo hunt! ;)

always thought taking a bison with the .458 Lott would be pretty cool, I think it's pretty close to the .45-110 or .45-120 from back in the day...

I should’ve already made a Buffalo hunt, but I quit applying! A lot of friends of mine have taken them, I’m a little envious. Too crippled-up now ( old) to pack one out.....would have to hire someone with horses! Maybe, I think abou5 i5 again one day! memtb

Reactions: HuskyMusky

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I

I should’ve already made a Buffalo hunt, but I quit applying! A lot of friends of mine have taken them, I’m a little envious. Too crippled-up now ( old) to pack one out.....would have to hire someone with horses! Maybe, I think abou5 i5 again one day! memtb
hope you do!
If you can swing it, I wouldn't think twice about hiring a guide/outfitter to help ya out, it'll be worth it, plus the meat.

Reactions: memtb

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
There are a few ranch bison hunts that are close to actual hunting as most will get. It isn't a free range bison hunt where you have to do a lot of work once the animal is on the ground but then most of the fun is going out, finding them, and then making the shot. I would of had no problems if someone could of got a backhoe or tractor into the areas where I have been on the free range bison hunts that I have gone on.