More Poachers

KHSRanger23

Apr 14, 2016
Utah
I hate reading these stories every time they come up. I believe some non hunters think poachers are hunters and thus these stories give law abiding hunters everywhere a bad reputation. Here we have somebody driving along finds a young bull moose and shots him with a bow and leaves the meat to spoil. Hope they find the person or people involved and they are charged with the maximum penalty allowed.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It usually turns out to be a 20 something male. With no regard to anything.

Sad part is that unless they start to brag or post some pictures they will never be caught

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Really bad deal for sure. We have some poachers around here. Usually just before hunting season opens, a lot of the nice buck deer just disappear, never seen again. I think the land owners are poaching them.

Reactions: Winchester

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
Poachers everywhere. And the bigger the buck or bull, the more likely someone will be tempted and break the law. We have seen it around here too! And the chances of them getting caught out here are really low with roads everywhere some places it is several miles between houses. I think it goes on way more than most people realize.

Reactions: Hilltop

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I read about another T.V. hunter, Greg Ritz (sp) getting nabbed for a "shoot over bait and leave to rot" case. I think he walked away from the whole deer, antlers included. Just needed to kill it for a tv show. What scum.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I hate reading these stories every time they come up. I believe some non hunters think poachers are hunters and thus these stories give law abiding hunters everywhere a bad reputation. Here we have somebody driving along finds a young bull moose and shots him with a bow and leaves the meat to spoil. Hope they find the person or people involved and they are charged with the maximum penalty allowed.

I would not be surprised to find out it was shot by one of those there anti hunters with the very intention of giving hunters a bad name. most anti hunters don't really care about life , they just despise independent thinkers.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
My faith in humanity goes down yearly.
X10! but I don't blame humanity per say. most are simply ignorant and have never been taught. most are failed by their parents , public schools , their government elects and most importantly , the church which has failed to teach the afore mentioned.

can't be the bright light on the hill when you keep the light turned down as low as it will go.

but back to the theme of the thread ................I hate poachers!

Last edited:
Reactions: dan maule

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
X10! but I don't blame humanity per say. most are simply ignorant and have never been taught. most are failed by their parents , public schools , their government elects and most importantly , the church which has failed to teach the afore mentioned.

can't be the bright light on the hill when you keep the light turned down as low as it will go.

but back to the theme of the thread ................I hate poachers!
I hear what you're saying. Kids with terrible parents are at a significant disadvantage from the get go.

Does one need to be taught it's immoral to kill an animal for no good reason? Sadly the answer may be yes.

Poachers should be poached!

Reactions: kidoggy

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona

Poaching is robbery, Jail time!! 💥

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I've always wondered and this may be WAY off base. Could ranchers who are getting their fields destroyed play a role in some of these poachings?

So it's clear I have nothing against ranchers. Have any others thought this?

When I hear of an animal and/or persons being killed I wonder what the motive is? Random person killing an animal what is the motive?

Someone getting their field destroyed hitting them straight in the pocket may have a motive.

The F&G game cases I've followed through to conviction there is never a stated motive.

Point is I ponder WHAT is in the mind of a poacher. What is the motive? Especially when the animal is shot and left to rot with nothing, including antlers, taken.

Thankfully, I just don't get it! When I younger my friends and I never contemplated for fun, hey lets go kill some game animals or pets in the neighborhood.

Rant over.

Reactions: dirtclod Az.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I've always wondered and this may be WAY off base. Could ranchers who are getting their fields destroyed play a role in some of these poachings?

So it's clear I have nothing against ranchers. Have any others thought this?

When I hear of an animal and/or persons being killed I wonder what the motive is? Random person killing an animal what is the motive?

Someone getting their field destroyed hitting them straight in the pocket may have a motive.

The F&G game cases I've followed through to conviction there is never a stated motive.

Point is I ponder WHAT is in the mind of a poacher. What is the motive? Especially when the animal is shot and left to rot with nothing, including antlers, taken.

Thankfully, I just don't get it! When I younger my friends and I never contemplated for fun, hey lets go kill some game animals or pets in the neighborhood.

Rant over.
I don't doubt some ranchers may do this but most ranchers I know hate waste also, so I do doubt that many of them do it.

some people just like to kill and destroy. there were some kids here got caught vandalizing businesses several years ago . when asked why they did it ,the response was ,"cause they have so much and I got nothing."

this is the mentality of folks who do such things.

this is why it is my opinion those who poach should simply just be put down for the good of humanity.

I understand many think this to be to harsh. I do not !

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
In most areas ranchers and farmers can legally shoot animals that are feeding or destroying their fields or crops. But after shooting the animal they have to report it.

The one in this thread was just a killing. Most poachers however rotten they are usually take something from the dead animal. This one was just arrowed and left. The story possibly went like this: Hey Sam, watch this, or do you think that I can hit that moose standing over there? To which Sam replied, no f&@%in way as the arrow was flying through the air. Then Sam says, holy sh/+ you hit him let's get the h$// out of here.

I would also wager that there are a lot of record book animals that were poached one way or another

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I absolutely can’t stand reading about this shit! It’s completely unacceptable. So many of us hunters follow the rules, do what we can to enjoy a hunt and feed our families, and keep a tradition alive. Then acts of a random few, give everyone of us a bad name. It’s no different than a crooked cop, bad teacher etc. The news gets ahold of it and away it goes!!! But I don’t have a doubt in my mind, that anti hunters have a role in this from time to time. I’m not saying this case in particular, but I do believe it happens. Them type of people don’t have a care about “life” or respect of life, as long as they get their way! A lot of these penalties are WAY to laxed which allows this to continue. On the other end of the spectrum, it’s also sad what a trophy animal can make a person do! In the end, what does it get you??? Jail time, loss of license, look like a jack ass, piss people off...not worth it and absolutely unacceptable

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
I absolutely can’t stand reading about this shit! It’s completely unacceptable. So many of us hunters follow the rules, do what we can to enjoy a hunt and feed our families, and keep a tradition alive. Then acts of a random few, give everyone of us a bad name. It’s no different than a crooked cop, bad teacher etc. The news gets ahold of it and away it goes!!! But I don’t have a doubt in my mind, that anti hunters have a role in this from time to time. I’m not saying this case in particular, but I do believe it happens. Them type of people don’t have a care about “life” or respect of life, as long as they get their way! A lot of these penalties are WAY to laxed which allows this to continue. On the other end of the spectrum, it’s also sad what a trophy animal can make a person do! In the end, what does it get you??? Jail time, loss of license, look like a jack ass, piss people off...not worth it and absolutely unacceptable
Jail time every time!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I can't speak for everyone but I know that if I had to resort to poaching to get a record animal , said animal would never mean much to me.

anyone can poach. it takes skill and commitment to do it legal.

poachers ,poach, to up their egos (which are generally already overinflated anyhow). truth is those who must cheat are really incredibly pathetic individuals ,with zero respect for anything or anyone but themselves .

I could forgive them their tresspass(if, they were remorseful) but to do so doesn't mean I think they should be allowed to skate on the consequences of their actions.

jail time just costs society . if the consequences were high (death sentence )there would be much less poaching

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Farmers that are getting crop damage have to call G & F and report it. Biologists come on site and verify it is happening. The farmer gets a depredation permit to kill a definate number of animals and they are picked up to be processed and given to food banks, etc. Thats how it happen here. Usually G & F tries other methods to keep the animals away from the farmed area and depredation is usually the last resort.