Social media affects

Jun 29, 2016
Coastal Maine
I know I would never have hunted out west without the internet. Living on the coast of Maine Wyoming is a whole new world. I planned a trip with my wife to Utah and Wyoming hitting the tourist spots Yellowstone, Sheridan , The little Bighorn and then went on a guided Antelope hunt. That was all planned on the WWW. I will say that back in 1967 ,when I was a kid,we took the family road trip and did just fine without any cellphone. Sportscaster Jim Rome called the internet the best and worse thing that has ever happened and there is a lot of truth in that.

Reactions: idcwby

Vinootz

Mar 22, 2020
I have noticed social media has change our hunting and fishing. People posting bragging photos. It will draw a lot of people to areas they would of never hunted or fished in the past. I have decided I would no longer tell the area or location of my hunting or fishing. Is that selfish or not. I am not sure, but just something I decided to no longer do. I never was into facebook.
I will give you an example:
This weekend I decided to go crappie fishing at a very rural local lake. The lake this Spring and early Summer up to this point has been way over flood pool. My buddy said he had seen a lot of post on a crappie facebook site from this lake. I tend to use a out of the way boat launch on this lake. I get there at 5:40 am. When I pull up to the ramp I am boat #17 inline to put my boat in the water. I just about turned around and left for home. I have never seen this many boats on this lake. This new method of spider rigging is a sight to see. I have never seen so many poles. I fished till about 9:30 am. I did pretty well and kept a good mess of 20 crappie trolling crank baits. When I took my boat out there were 47 trucks and trailers at the ramp.
It is crazy even the old hidden out of the way places are getting hammered.
Possible more people are there because they are not working due to Covid ? Besides there should be plenty of crappy for everyone. As for social network sprawl, it’s similar to urban sprawl. You will have to find other remote locations if you wish to avoid people. Or move to Alaska- lol. We’ve all been subjected to it and deal with it accordingly. There is nothing new under the sun and everyone is entitled to go fish areas where the public is permitted. Be happy there are many engaging in outdoor activities as they will be able to vote against lefty activists trying to shut down outdoorsmen.

Vinootz

Mar 22, 2020
I have noticed social media has change our hunting and fishing. People posting bragging photos. It will draw a lot of people to areas they would of never hunted or fished in the past. I have decided I would no longer tell the area or location of my hunting or fishing. Is that selfish or not. I am not sure, but just something I decided to no longer do. I never was into facebook.
I will give you an example:
This weekend I decided to go crappie fishing at a very rural local lake. The lake this Spring and early Summer up to this point has been way over flood pool. My buddy said he had seen a lot of post on a crappie facebook site from this lake. I tend to use a out of the way boat launch on this lake. I get there at 5:40 am. When I pull up to the ramp I am boat #17 inline to put my boat in the water. I just about turned around and left for home. I have never seen this many boats on this lake. This new method of spider rigging is a sight to see. I have never seen so many poles. I fished till about 9:30 am. I did pretty well and kept a good mess of 20 crappie trolling crank baits. When I took my boat out there were 47 trucks and trailers at the ramp.
It is crazy even the old hidden out of the way places are getting hammered.
Here’s another issue your comment made me think of. My neighbor always bragged how she would stock up her garage box freezer with all the trout that was just stocked for all the members of the association to fish. Needless to say everyone’s dues paid for the stocked trout.
She rather be a wannabe red neck, buckaroo than get a real job; even if her activities were selfish toward her neighbors. I’m not accusing you of such, but you don’t want to turn into one either. She used to say all the things you posted and decided to think she was getting a one up on her neighbors. Go figure.By the way, they foreclosed on her house. Woulda been better if she concerned herself with a real job than being an early bird, selfish and worrying about population pressure- lol. Again, I’m not accusing you of being that way , but rather, your comment reminded me of that. I always welcome and am happy to share America’s great bounty with all other outdoorsmen and take the good with the bad. Just saying.

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I agree with CC and Hilltop 100%. I never post anything specific and only PM with those I've built a relationship with or I believe need some guidance as they are going to waste time/money/points going down the wrong path.

BTW: This is the only social media site I frequent. Shouldn't I get some kind of award for devoting myself to only the Eastman Forum family? FB never appealed to me.

Come on Scott, BC needs a new hat or something. ;)
Thinking I need to bump this up again....
I like those burnt orange Eastman hats.... 🤷‍♂️