What would be your dream hunt?

bigmoose

Jan 2, 2012
Yerington Nevada
I'm with CC. Antelope Island or even the Henries. I've always been a mule deer hunter at heart. A big buck still gets my blood pumping!

When I was younger, I'd dreamed of hunting Stone sheep in Canada. That would be my 2nd choice. Something about sheep hunting... I could get hooked !

cking13

May 20, 2017
VA
I wish I wouldve started hunting out west when my dad was still able to make the trip. Hes too old now so that dream hunt will never happen, but, animal wise id love to just have the month of october off and travel the state of wyoming chasing elk, deer and antelope. Doesnt even matter what tags as long as there is plenty of public land for me to roam and explore with a chance to fill them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I'm with CC. Antelope Island or even the Henries. I've always been a mule deer hunter at heart. A big buck still gets my blood pumping!

When I was younger, I'd dreamed of hunting Stone sheep in Canada. That would be my 2nd choice. Something about sheep hunting... I could get hooked !
Unless you have $300k+ Antelope Island is a pipe dream, that is unless you move to Utah and get lucky in the draw.

But the Henry Mountains can be within reach. Rifle and muzzy take a lot of years of applications but archery is doable.

I hunted them for years when they had antler point restrictions and it was great. The hunts really were not that crowded since the area was so far away from the larger populations of humans

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I would take that tag my 77 year old father had last year over the antelope island tag... Henries is well the henries or that would be a coin flip for me.

You guys know the hunt I talked w moose and Jim about last year as that was my actual dream hunt w my favorite hunting partner in the same place I started hunting. First following my father before I was old enough to hunt and where I got m first deer a 180” type buck opening day after missing a very big buck my uncle had pre scouted.

This past year I spent around 15 days scouting. Covered most of the unit and it paid off big time as I found a giant (“5th element” as he is - for lack of a better word perfect) to chase. Imagine a 205” main frame at 31” wide w 25” of extras including matching 3” stickers putting him right about 37” wide.. He literally dwarfed the buck I got this year.. In the end we got as close as 430 yards for 10 min (he shoots his pre 64 win 30-06 to 350 yds not a yard further) and could not get closer. Ended the season looking for him. In fact I am still looking for him...

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
If I lived there, I would be your worst nightmare. lol
I hope you can find that buck and get your hands on him!

1 archery Tag per year for archery non-residents in the Henry's....lol thats funny and almost ridiculous. haha .01% chance for me. lol

Wonder why they dont issue a handfull of archery tags at least. I guess I have never been there so I dont know or understand the situation.

Last edited:
Reactions: ColoradoV

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I can't say as I really have a dream hunt anymore. I just do things as they pop into my head and if I can save the money.
I've hunted many states and canada for many different animals.
I'm booked on a cheap african hunt for April if things clear up. And put a small deposit on free range red stag and roe deer in romania for 2022.
But honestly I want a wolf more than anything. I've had 4 tags and never punched one yet. 3 in Alaska and 1 in Ontario.

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
I like hunting. It's hard to pick just one. I've killed a pile of mule deer and whitetail. Some really nice, but nothing super huge. I've killed a few aoudad. I've killed an elk. Pronghorn, a Texas desert bighorn (pretty much a dream hunt, 2 tags/year deal), a bunch of free range axis, blackbuck, pigs. Probably leaving something out.

Aoudad are fun to hunt in rough country. Actually a lot more wary and spooky than desert sheep, only a lot easier to come by an opportunity. Axis are a lot like elk in their behavior. Bugling elk and bellowing axis are just flat out fun to hunt. A couple weeks ago, my son and I slipped up into some brush and called and rattled 6 bucks (all at once) to within 50 yards. Zach killed the biggest one. He had a broken brow, scars on his face and ears, and teeth just barely above the gumline. Cool old warrior of a buck, and what an exciting and fun hunt.

I'd love to hunt moose. I'd love to kill the other 3 North American sheep and get a grand slam (and throw in a California on top of that). I'd love to hunt Africa and New Zealand and Scotland and Hawaii and Argentina and.... But I grew up hunting mule deer in the canyons of the Texas Panhandle, and mule deer will always be special to me. If I was gonna pick a dream hunt based solely on the animal, I'd pick a mule deer. They are the American West to me. They're the deer my dad taught me to hunt. They're my roots. I'd love to kill a big heavy deep forked 36" wide typical 4x4 mule deer with my bow on a spot and stalk hunt in some red rock canyons or a high basin. And I'd want to have my dad and my son along on the hunt with me. And I'd want both of them to kill a monster muley while we were there too. That would be a dream hunt for sure.

Dad is 74 now. He has some health issues that keep him from being able to hunt the rough country anymore. But we still get to do a lot of hunting together. Last fall, I got to guide Dad on a really nice axis and an old bruiser of a Texas pronghorn. Those were both FUN hunts, especially since the 2 summers prior had Dad in the hospital and near death from myasthenia gravis. It was a huge blessing to have him up and around and hunting again.

Next week, Dad and I are gonna fly fish a clear creek in the Texas Hill Country for Rio Grande cichlids and Guadalupe bass. That will be a dream trip too. Two unique species of fish native only to Texas. Every memory we make together is priceless.

I guess for me it's more about the experience and who I'm sharing it with and the memories we get to keep forever. The type and/or size of the animal is definitely part of it, but still a distant 2nd to sharing another adventure with my favorite hunting partners.

Every now and then, like a few weeks ago, it's just me and God in the woods together with nobody else around. Those are good times too. Like I said, it's hard to pick just one....

Last edited:

Shane13

Aug 8, 2012
Hawley, Texas
Yes sir. That was his .257 in those pics. He has a 7mag as well. I took his 7mag with me on my desert bighorn hunt. I got to take my son with me on the hunt, so I used Dad's gun so he could have a part in it too. :)

I have a German .240 that Dad gave me when I was 12. Also have a more recent 6.5x300.

That's cool you knew Ed. I used to pour over every page of the Weatherby catalogs when I was a kid. I was fascinated by all the trophy room pictures and seeing all of Roy's buddies like John Wayne, the Shah of Iran, etc.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad knew Roy and I used to go with him to their original shop in South Gate, Ca. When I started building custom pistol grips, I used to get a lot of "cutoff" wood from them to make the grips. I dated Ed's sister Diane a few times too. Nice gal, but just not my type!