Unit 62 Antelope

jvonbank

May 30, 2017
Lake St Louis, MO
Hey everyone,

Since dad and I didn't draw anything else out west this year, we decided to cash in our 12 points and both drew WY unit 62 antelope licenses for this year. Hopefully this will be a great hunt for us and dad will be able to make his first antelope a good one! We probably will plan for a full week of hunting. We both archery and rifle hunt so was thinking maybe the last few days of archery season would be a good scout/hunt before rifle opens? If any of you have hunted out there and are willing to point is in the right direction for places to camp or start our search, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks,
Jared

Reactions: gonhunting247

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Can't swing a dead cat in that country without hitting an antelope, kind of. LOTS of antelope, great tag, look at lots of bucks before you shoot. Just up there over a week ago, some real good ones to be had!

Last edited:
Reactions: jvonbank

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Don't shoot the first 'big' one you see unless you really get a good look at him. Please report back during/after your hunt with some antelople eye candy. Good luck and enjoy the experience with your dad in a great unit.

jvonbank

May 30, 2017
Lake St Louis, MO
I hunted it in 2018 for buck antelope. Got a couple maps I'd sell you cheap too!
What maps do you have? If they have x's marked on them for good spots it would help! ;) I was thinking about getting a WY OnXmaps card. I bought one for my Nevada hunts over the last few years and really like it.

Thanks,
Jared

jvonbank

May 30, 2017
Lake St Louis, MO
You know there were only 30 tags for area#62? I drew one too. I last hunted #62 in 1995 and took a 15" buck with great mass. They really cut the tag #s in most Red Desert areas. We were lucky.
Cool shootbrownelk! When are you planning on hunting? I'd be happy to share what we see if the timing works for you.

Later,
Jared

CoHiCntry

Veteran member
Mar 31, 2011
Colorado Mountains
What maps do you have? If they have x's marked on them for good spots it would help! ;) I was thinking about getting a WY OnXmaps card. I bought one for my Nevada hunts over the last few years and really like it.

Thanks,
Jared
I've got a MyTopo unit 62 map and a BLM map of the area (Baroil). No x's but I can tell you where I hunted, what we saw and where I killed mine. Shoot me a PM if you're interested in the maps. Thanks...

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
Cool shootbrownelk! When are you planning on hunting? I'd be happy to share what we see if the timing works for you.

Later,
Jared
I have no idea. I have some buddies from Wisconsin coming out to hunt deer #87 that is right next door to Antelope #62. I may hunt the opener or may wait until they come out for the deer. I'm staying flexible.

257Roberts

Aug 14, 2017
I had left over doe tags in 2018. And spent a day predator hunting the unit last year. Feel free to PM me if you have a specific question. You will have a good hunt!

Reactions: shootbrownelk

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
If you hunt the opener, expect to see other hunters. Wait for a few days and they will all disappear.
I did some early scouting. Saw 2 really nice bucks that I'd take without a second thought. I imagine the bigger bucks will be dead if not taken on the opening. Not many tags in 62 this year, crowding won't be a problem I'm thinking. I may wait until the friends get here though. They haven't been on an antelope hunt in 10 years.

Reactions: CODAK