30-30 WIN iron sight adjustment

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
It's just that when you are older than dirt you have experienced a lot of different things in your life that you learn from

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Asking a question like you did here on Eastman's, there are enough good people here that can give someone some good information....or at least where to find it. Good forum to be on for sure!
Absolutely!!
Isn't the first time you all have helped me out. Probably won't be the last.
Seriously genuine helpful folks on this forum.
Virtual mentors!!

Once I get it dialed in I plan on take my dad to the range so he can shoot his old 30-30 with my reloads. Should be fun!!

Reactions: Winchester

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
One thing at a time. Keep in mind that you are shooting a bullet with a very low BC, at a moderate velocity. It doesn't take much wind to have an effect on that bullet 100 yards downrange. So, I suggest that you do some range time after the elevation adjustment, and only consider making windage changes on a dead calm day. Even that 1 1/2" is within your open sights & "old eyes" limitations.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
I made it back to the range after adjusting the elevation and dovetail.

After the elevation adjustment I'm shooting 1.5" low. I can tighten that up by getting a more consistent sight picture with practice. Elevation is dialed no further adjustments needed.

JIMP is right, too many taps on the dovetail, it was shooting 12-14 inches to the right. I made a few adjustment at the range, tapped the dovetail to the left, now it's shooting 1.5" right.

I'm going to leave the sights as is for now. I reloaded 40 rounds yesterday. If anything, I may need to bring it back to the left just a hair. I'll see what she does on paper before adjusting any further.

Thanks to everyone who helped a 30-30 newbie get this 42 year old gun up and running! If I could buy you all a beer I would!!

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Also remember that with iron sights you want to float the target right on top of the sight, you don't want to cover it

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Good focus point. Bull was more covered with my front bead. It worked but if it's not recommended I'll try your recommended sight picture next time out.

This rifle has no manual so bear with me. The hammer has 3 positions. Fully cocked, half-cocked (more like a 1/3), full safe position. This rifle has no safety nor a manual hammer stop. What is the function of the 1/3 position? Prevent firing if the hammer were to release? For example, dropped the rifle or an impact of enough significance to unintentionally release the hammer. Is there any other function of the 1/3 position?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The hammer will have 3 positions to be in. All the way down it will be sitting on the firing pin, I'm not sure when they incorporate the trigger block.
The second is the safe position for what it is.
Then full cock ready to fire.

You should be able to get a owners manual from Winchester, either a paper copy or a download

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Early on the full down position (pre trigger lock) could result in the gun firing if it was dropped and hit directly on the hammer. That's why they have the intermediate position.....like Jim said "for what it is".

Reactions: shootbrownelk