30-30 WIN iron sight adjustment

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
New to 30-30 WIN. My dad gave me a mint 30-30 (1978) WIN lever action with less than 100 rounds.
Worked up a load, NP 2250 fps, shooting 2.3" high at 50 yards and 4.3" high at 100 yards.
Windage ~ 1.5" right at 100 yards.

3 shot group 50 yards 3". 3 shot group 100 yards 3.47". Assuming this is decent for open sights, but again, I don't know what is considered acceptable. Any insight would be appreciated.

Regarding elevation, if I drop the rear sight one level, how much drop should I expect (1/2/3 MOA)? First time adjusting an open sight rifle.

I don't want to modify the sights. Trying to keep it as original as possible. The way dad had it.

Thanks

Last edited:

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
You have to adjust open sights on a rifle to the direction it's shooting. Lowering the rear right will cause it to shoot higher. You need to raise the rear sight to lower the point of impact.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
My understanding is I need to drop the rear sight (move the elevator forward) to drop the POI.
In your experience, if I move the rear sight one click (either way), how much does that change POI?
I'm going to put it on paper. Just don't know what to expect.
Rifle is easy 1 click at 100 yards is about 1/4 MOA.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
You have to drop the rear sight to lower your POI.

I have no ides of what each notch will give you at 100 yards. You just need to take it out shooting again and see what each notch does for you.

Just remember that a .30-30 lever action rifle is not a target rifle and was meant for the deer woods out to 150 yards where yours will do just fine. It isn't a 200 yard+ parrie dog rifle

If you want to correct the windage you will need a brass drift to hit with a light hammer to move the rear sight in the dovetail in the direction that you want the bullet to go

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
You have to drop the rear sight to lower your POI.

I have no ides of what each notch will give you at 100 yards. You just need to take it out shooting again and see what each notch does for you.

Just remember that a .30-30 lever action rifle is not a target rifle and was meant for the deer woods out to 150 yards where yours will do just fine. It isn't a 200 yard+ parrie dog rifle

If you want to correct the windage you will need a brass drift to hit with a light hammer to move the rear sight in the dovetail in the direction that you want the bullet to go
Thank you.

I tapped the front site a little to the left to adjust the windage on my last range session. Tap slightly to the right to bring it back or use the dovetail. Sounds like either will work. Not sure if the dovetail or front sight is preferred. Using the dovetail would certainly look cleaner.

I dropped the rear sight a notch, front sight adjusted back to factory baseline, I'll need to tap the dovetail to the right.

Not sure how comfortable I would be shooting a deer at 150 yards with open sights. I was surprised how much the target was obscured by the sights at 100 yards. For me, 100 yards or less. Maybe as I get more comfortable I can extend the range some.

Either way it's a fun gun to shoot!

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Adjust your aiming point.

Thats what the idiots on the Georgia forum told me to do when I said my Glock didn't hit exactly where I wanted it to with the factory sights....lol

Seriously though, follow Jim's advise.

Reactions: Mule3006Elk

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Drifting the rear sight is the correct way to do it. But it takes very little to move the POI at 100 yards so be gentle.
Looking at the barrel there's really no reference to tell how much I've moved it.
Any tips?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Looking at the barrel there's really no reference to tell how much I've moved it.
Any tips?
That's where you have to go very gentle on it. A slight movement may put you off the same amount in the opposite direction.

I haven't had to do that for many many years. The last rifle that I did it to was a 22 lever action clear back in 1969 or so. The two lever actions that I have now shoot close enough for open sight work that I never bothered to try and correct the slight adjustment that they are off.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Everyone thank you!

Very helpful.

What is considered a good group at 100 yards, from the bench, with open sights?

1-4": great.
4-8": average.
9-12: below average.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
The tighter the better. If you want to get more capability out of it, you can change the rear sight easily. It is dovetailed in and you can get a new one that has micrometer type adjustments. Look in Brownells or other supplier and you should be able to get one pretty reasonable.

Just checked Brownells and lots of replacements available. Marble makes a replacement that is adjustable for $30.00. Lots of fiber optics too. They fit the 3/8 dovetail yours has. Check "rear rifle sight" category.

Last edited:

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
The tighter the better. If you want to get more capability out of it, you can change the rear sight easily. It is dovetailed in and you can get a new one that has micrometer type adjustments. Look in Brownells or other supplier and you should be able to get one pretty reasonable.

Just checked Brownells and lots of replacements available. Marble makes a replacement that is adjustable for $30.00. Lots of fiber optics too. The fit the 3/8 dovetail yours has. Check "rear rifle sight" category.
Thanks for checking. I appreciate it.