New Mexico antelope applications since A-Plus was eliminated

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
Who still applies for New Mexico antelope since the A-Plus system that assigned hunters to private ranches was eliminated?

I hunted once under the A-Plus system, and while the ranch I got wasn't great, I had a good time.

NMDGF touted the program as offering more opportunities, but it seems that is just for those who want to buy landowner tags.

Under the new system public draw tags numbers were cut drastically, so I quit applying.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I entered this year and was unsuccessful. After studding the odds and limited available tags for NR I doubt I will ever enter again. Main reason is being forced to purchase hunting license. I don't play the lottery and that is just what it is. At least in a state that has preference points you know that money is adding up to some day get a tag.

Reactions: El Serio

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Also a lot of applicants for elk and deer just go ahead and put in for antelope due to the fact they already spent their money buying the license and not much more cost to enter for additional tag.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
I entered this year and was unsuccessful. After studding the odds and limited available tags for NR I doubt I will ever enter again. Main reason is being forced to purchase hunting license. I don't play the lottery and that is just what it is. At least in a state that has preference points you know that money is adding up to some day get a tag.
That is the conclusion that I came to. I have limited funds that I can put toward hunt applications and would rather use it somewhere where I have a chance.

prhunter

Apr 18, 2016
West Texas
I no longer apply for antelope in NM due to their low number of tags available for NR.

I do still put in for deer, elk, barbary sheep.

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
I bet more applied this year than the last two years. In this day and age of less and less people hunting there is just more and more playing the new mexico lottery. Doesn't make any sense to me.