Bonus points for Mountain Goat and Rocky Bighorn? Non-res off years.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I'm surprised NV won't let non-res, at least buy and build points for Mountain Goat and Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep, even when they're closed in off years??
I mean we have to front the $160 license we should be able to keep building points IMO. for even off species.
Not to mention the state would also increase revenue of those $10 each or whatever.

What do you think?

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
There was one mountain goat tag to NR the last time it was offered. Unless you're planning to move to NV and convert them to resident points, then I wouldn't purchase them even if they were available. As a NR I think they'd be worth about as much as a BP for mountain goats in AL. There's just so much demand that you're odds are never really going to increase even with points. I've been applying for 8 or 9 years now and I can't remember a single year where NR were offered a single tag for Rocky bighorns. I might be wrong though.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
There was one mountain goat tag to NR the last time it was offered. Unless you're planning to move to NV and convert them to resident points, then I wouldn't purchase them even if they were available. As a NR I think they'd be worth about as much as a BP for mountain goats in AL. There's just so much demand that you're odds are never really going to increase even with points. I've been applying for 8 or 9 years now and I can't remember a single year where NR were offered a single tag for Rocky bighorns. I might be wrong though.
when I began applying non-res could build points... I think for most species I now have 14 in NV but only 2 for rocky bighorns there, just saying I could have 14 if they let you apply by now... just seems like NV would let you gain points and generate $$ from them.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Somehow I don't think too many non-res hunters would be applying for mountain goat or Rocky bighorn bonus points not knowing when or even if they would ever be allowed to hunt them.
To be honest I don't have a problem with NV not allowing NR a chance to hunt them when the odds of drawing a tag are astronomical even for us resident hunters.
In 2019 there were almost 14,000 applicants for 8 tags. Now count in the bonus points squared and the odds are HOLY COW!
I will know where to find them when I draw my tag this year. ;)

Last edited:

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Somehow I don't think too many non-res hunters would be applying for mountain goat or Rocky bighorn bonus points not knowing when or even if they would ever be allowed to hunt them.
To be honest I don't have a problem with NV not allowing NR a chance to hunt them when the odds of drawing a tag are astronomical even for us resident hunters.
In 2019 there were almost 14,000 applicants for 8 tags. Now count in the bonus points squared and the odds are HOLY COW!
I will know where to find them when I draw my tag this year. ;)

View attachment 30262
Same here I wished Wyoming wouldn’t let nonres apply for mountain goat and limit the numbers more on moose and bighorn!!