April 7...Decision Day

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Today is the final day to apply for your big game tag here in Colorado. Everything must be in by midnight tonight, and don't forget thast applies to preference points too.

Left overs not applied for will be your only other chance ....TBD in a couple of months.

Mine are all in.....good luck!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Thanks for the reminder C.C. I bought my pts. a couple days ago, but after one of my hunting partners dropped the ball a couple times by forgetting until it was too late, I do the reminder to him at least twice to get his app. in. We would have been hunting the unit a couple years ago but for that.

highplainsdrifter

Very Active Member
May 4, 2011
Wyoming
I decided to cash in my nonresident mule deer preference points. I don't like the new rules that require you to spend so much money just to buy a preference point...so I'm cashing in. Hope the virus thing settles down by October.

arwaterfowler

Dec 4, 2011
Omaha, NE
I decided to cash in and hunt. I've got 9 points and I'm tired of sitting on the sidelines. Depending on how many new applicants jump in to the draw of course...

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had to walk a couple of non residents through the process this last weekend. CP&W doesn't make it easy for us or them when they require the small game license to be purchased first and then you have to go back and do your tags. I don't know why they can't allow all purchases at one time.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Good luck in the draws guys!

I decided to just apply for points for my deer tag once again. Still cant make up my mind.

Reactions: Winchester

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Just points for me this year and a couple of 2nd choice options for deer and elk.
I'm not asking for anything hard to draw because I'll be busy with a new job and also due to the uncertainty of whether or not the coronavirus will screw up hunting this fall.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I'm burning my deer points finally for a zone I've been waiting for. I'm hoping to make the cut partly from the points saved, partly luck, and partly non-residents cancelling plans due to Covid. (I know it sounds selfish but if there was going to be a year to do it, this is it.) Elk will be OTC for me. And I think I'll spend a fair bit of time bird hunting and fishing. I don't do that enough...

My wife's decided to just do upland game. She's in for a point apiece for deer and elk, but that's it.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I had to walk a couple of non residents through the process this last weekend. CP&W doesn't make it easy for us or them when they require the small game license to be purchased first and then you have to go back and do your tags. I don't know why they can't allow all purchases at one time.
Once you add the licence to the cart you can add the apps and check out at once.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Once you add the license to the cart you can add the apps and check out at once.
This is true for some.

My buddy WAS able to do what you are saying but I was NOT.

I dont know why but it wouldn't let me personally do this. I had to pay for the small game license then get out of the system and get back in.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I really want to go back and hunt the area I hunted last year. I just didn’t feel confident being able to draw it with zero points. So I elected for a preference point as a first choice and a mediocre unit as a second choice being hopeful that I at least get drawn so I can hunt as well as acquire the point.

time in the mountains

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I really want to go back and hunt the area I hunted last year. I just didn’t feel confident being able to draw it with zero points. So I elected for a preference point as a first choice and a mediocre unit as a second choice being hopeful that I at least get drawn so I can hunt as well as acquire the point.
I guess you know you could have put the area you wanted first choice and if you drew it great, if not you'd still get a preference point.

Reactions: D_Dubya

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I guess you know you could have put the area you wanted first choice and if you drew it great, if not you'd still get a preference point.
True, but based on the way this unit draws out, I still don't think I'd have drawn it on a 1st choice which would give me the PP as a 2nd choice but would not get me in the mountains. I layed out all the odds and picked the unit I felt that I had the best 2nd choice opportunity that I would still be willing/open to hunting. This way, I can hunt my go-2 next year.

Winchester

Veteran member
Mar 27, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
Hey Bones...
Maybe we're talking past each other, but I don't think what you're saying is the way it works here in Colorado,.
If you put the area you want 1st choice and do not draw, you get a preference point. The PP isn't your 2nd choice … it's just a PP.
Then you still have a chance to draw your 2nd choice.

I do that for deer every year.
I put in for a tough to draw unit as my 1st choice and an easy to draw unit as my 2nd choice.
When I don't get my 1st choice I get a PP, then they also give me my 2nd choice tag.

Reactions: D_Dubya

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Winchester is correct on this one, only the first choice uses points and if you don’t draw your first choice you get the point, doesn’t effect second choice.

Reactions: Winchester

swampokie

Veteran member
Jul 29, 2013
Haworth Oklahoma
u guys draw system and the draw app booklet is the most complicated mess ive ever dove into. Its clear as mud to me now but trying to explain it to a newbie that doesn't obsess the way we do over it is impossible

Reactions: JimP