Bear season closed

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've been advised that the Governor and Fish and Game have shut down both brown and black bear seasons this spring. Only subsistence hunting will be allowed. I don't recall being in a crowd with I've hunted bears.

Reactions: Winchester

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I believe that they are shutting things down due to the influx of hunters into the area, even if there is only a couple hunters per square mile.

Most of these areas have a very limited health resource and if someone comes in that has the virus and becomes sick he may have a problem getting the help that they need, and if two or three come down with it then it can become even worse.

I can see both sides of the argument of letting hunters hunt and for the closing and limiting access or closing hunts side of the argument.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I understand your point, I just disagree. Hunters take risks yearly with their own health. I see very old people at 10k elevation hunting yearly. Doing that might kill them but it is their choice. As long as people aren't putting others at risk, they should be free to choose.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I don't think it has anything to do with social distance issue. It is about keeping outsiders out of airports and towns getting to their destination.
Heck I needed to go take a photo of the outside of a clients home. I was in the area so I stopped. They had a trailer blocking their drive(should have been a clue). As I was walking down the drive I was yelled at we are on lock down with great anger. I yelled back who I was and what I needed. I was able to get the photos but think I will call first on future ones.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Everyone's points are well taken. This is a scary situation. I just consider the measures being taken as selective. If they want to shut it down, shut everything down.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I think the biggest thing that we are going to be discussing for a very long time...is how this one single event has challenged many civil liberties that many of us have simply taken for granted. There aren't many people left who remember the rationing that took place during WW2 and the all out war effort we imposed. The good part of this though is that all the projections pose that this virus won't be forcing us into that situation for 5 years.

Reactions: AKaviator