2020 Turkey Picture Thread

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
7:45 BOOM (WIFE- 10" beard 2 year old -20 yards- Activ - 3" #4's)
7:47 BOOM (ME- 9" beard 2 year old-45 yards -Win HV - 3.5" #5's)

And no that wasn't staged, we set up the cell phone camera on a timer and my Little Bit did that all on her own. We thought it was quite funny. lol Little Bit got to see both birds die. She was sitting tight next to me with mommy 30 yards out in front. After Mommy killed her bird the others circled and I somehow managed to call 2 of them back into range and drop the hammer. "You got him Gary" then she jumped up and bolted to go be with mommy and help finish hers off with a stick...and taddle on me that my gun kicks too hard and it kicked her too lol.

She is taking an interest now for sure. Next year when she is 10 and has some more gun work we will hopefully be posting a picture of her holding her first turkey!

It was a grand morning to be in the woods with family.

And that completes my GA turkey season 2020.

Turkey Burgers. Turned out very good!

And now, the fish are in trouble....

Last edited:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Fink,

I truly wish they would move the season a couple weeks further down the calendar. As you can imagine, I have voiced my concerns, written letters, taken surveys, spoken directly to biologists, e-mailed my next findings. etc etc.

Bottom line is that these GA boys dont like change. Its the same old "You arnt hunting hard enough, there's lots of birds", etc etc...

That's why I only shoot a bird a year when I can shoot three. Because I so wholeheartedly disagree with the early start. Poult recruitment is something like .5 right now. Its a sad state of affairs in GA but if a person self manages their property it works well.

I have seen a lot of hens wondering the woods looking for gobblers in Northern GA in the last several years. Its just not normal in my opinion and I feel that hens are having a hard time getting bred because the gobblers are getting shot to pieces and it is creating a historically low production rate. Many argue this fact and point to predation.
However, there are a couple surveys being done of WMA's where they bring the season in two full weeks later and they have not released the poult recruitment data yet to see if it had helped but I spoke to the biologist a coupe times on the pohone and they sadi "expect changes soon" So I feel there may be a shift in the seasons and bag limits coming.

Season should start two weeks later and the bag limit should be reduced to 1 bird per person IMHO. I mentioned that on the GON forum and about got run off the website. No $hit.

I know your a turkey GURU so here is some light reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Waiting anxiously and jealously for your crappie pics. Still too cold here, haven't even been out yet.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Water needs to be 5 more degrees warmer. This weekend could potentially be very good depending on what this rain does to the water temps.

Gar and carp are staging up and starting to spawn way back in the trees cause the water level is so high. I will likely be out of the boat stalking the timber for them next weekend...

Last edited:

Naturebob

Feb 28, 2016
phoenix, az.
I am going in New Mexico ,opener April 15th. Here in Arizona it doesn't open till 10 days later the 24th. And you have to get drawn. And I didn't Thats why I am Going to N. Mexico . Only 1- to 2 hours farther than where I go in AZ. New Mexico lets You take 2 birds in alot of areas but they don't have alot of People Population. AZ. actually does a good job managing Turkeys. I generally get drawn 3-4 times in 5 years If You know how to play the odds. I have killed many here over the years and we don't seem to get the long beards like you Guys are showing. i think its the heavy snow and Ice and rocky terrain they live in...Congrats on some nice birds. I was supposed to go to Florida yesterday ,but flight got cancelled . Would have been My royal Slam. I think next Year I will drive down and spend some time. Retired now and have lottsa friends down there to visit.. Good luck all. If Lucky in N. Mexico I will post Pics. Hope the birds don' make me chase em in the high country I am allmost 64 ..........................BOB!

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
I am going in New Mexico ,opener April 15th. Here in Arizona it doesn't open till 10 days later the 24th. And you have to get drawn. And I didn't Thats why I am Going to N. Mexico . Only 1- to 2 hours farther than where I go in AZ. New Mexico lets You take 2 birds in alot of areas but they don't have alot of People Population. AZ. actually does a good job managing Turkeys. I generally get drawn 3-4 times in 5 years If You know how to play the odds. I have killed many here over the years and we don't seem to get the long beards like you Guys are showing. i think its the heavy snow and Ice and rocky terrain they live in...Congrats on some nice birds. I was supposed to go to Florida yesterday ,but flight got cancelled . Would have been My royal Slam. I think next Year I will drive down and spend some time. Retired now and have lottsa friends down there to visit.. Good luck all. If Lucky in N. Mexico I will post Pics. Hope the birds don' make me chase em in the high country I am allmost 64 ..........................BOB!
I would like to get the slam some day or even just hunt them in another state. Currently just travel for big game. That stinks your flight got cancelled. Maybe for the best.

Here in N Cal I can get three males during the 5 week spring season. We also have a fall season that is either sex. Taking a friend tomorrow on his first Turkey hunt. I will post another pic if we get luckey.

00BUCK

Feb 23, 2011
NorCal
Alaska - what state was that in? Looks like a merriam. Are you able to get more then one per season?