My "Western Rifle" Weight

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Random post here but I have been seeing a lot about ultralight rifles the last couple of years.

Got out my wife's veggie scale today.

Weighed my 300 WSM A-bolt SS Stalker With BOSS today.
Leupold VX-II 4-12 Silver scope with front cap.

8 pounds 2 ounces (without the sling or ammo stuffed in it)

I never figured it was that heavy...I couldn't imagine having a gun 2 pounds lighter than this one.

Love this gun for what I have invested in it (~$1000). Not an easy gun to find.

I bought it 17 years ago and it still looks brand new and shoots MOA which is good enough for me. I was pretty proud with this purchase as it was the first "quality" gun I had bought. lol Today, people may snub their nose at it for being too heavy. lol

0 and I mean 0 recoil but ya bring your earplugs...the bitch will make your ears bleed...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
My sniping rifle/scope tips the scales at 9lb. It's deadly and easy to carry.

You get a rifle too light and it's tough to steady for the shot if needed.

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
Yeah I agree. I'm a pounds and ounces freak in my gear but not in my gun. My X-Bolt Long Range Stalker in 30-06 tops 9.1lbs with scope, neoprene scope cover, and bipod. I could trim a few ounces somewhere but I like the things that weigh those ounces. Maybe I'm rationalizing. But I figure carrying and using that gun is the entire purpose I'm out there with all my OTHER gear. So it's the one area where I won't make sacrifices, just deal with it...

I do own and religiously use a good digital scale for the rest of my equipment. As they say, ounces make pounds. I've saved weight in some surprising areas. Keeps me busy in the winter, anyway...

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I agree, I don't really care that my rifle weighs a little more than some of the super ultralites! I tried to convince my wife that I needed a rifle that was a pound or two lighter, and she told me to lose 10 pounds from my gut and I'd be money ahead! Go figure!

Reactions: taskswap

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My 2 "go to" rifles (Ruger M77 25-06 & custom .300 Wby) both weigh in at close to 10# full of ammo & a sling. Don't really care as both are tack drivers....I'll lug around them as long as I can hunt!

Last edited:

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I don't know how that rifle has 0 kick? at the range??

Have an a bolt wood stock 300 win.mag though with boss and it kicks like a mule, harder than my 340 wby synthetic no brake.

8 lbs magnum sounds pretty nice... 8-10 lbs depending on the magnum I think...

I have a 6lbs .243 and it's too light! in the future I'd want a 7-8 lbs rifle, also a bigger barrel contour.

People will always get excited for a light rifle etc... but there's always some give to get IMO... and unless you truly have a specific reason to have an ultralight rifle, I think a normal weight or semi light is a better choice...

like I said I have the boss on my 300 mag and it kicks like a mule....so I've yet to see a brake really work well, if they did I'd maybe consider a lighter weight magnum some day, but I think a normal weight gun, even in a magnum without a brake is the way I'll choose to go.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Don't have a clue what my rifle weights. All I want in a rifle is for it to shoot straight and not kick like a mule.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Husky; I have a removable brake on my 338, and it makes a world of difference, both in sound and recoil. Yup, it still kicks some, but after making the next shot comparison w/o the brake, I went back to using it full time. My bro-in-law and I each bought the Cabela's Tikka T3 ultralite rifle before a WY deer hunt a few years ago. My listed wt. was 5.8# for the 30-06, his was a 300WSM and may be a bit heavier. My recoil was a non factor for me but he really had a problem with the recoil. He switched out the recoil pad to a limbsaver and had the barrel ported, and now brags that his recoils less than mine does.

Reactions: HuskyMusky

memtb

My wife and I each have only one hunting rifle.....for “all” of our big game hunting. My wife’s.338 WM, is 8 pounds 15 ounces scoped, loaded, and slung. My .375 AI weighs in at 9 pounds 1 ounce, scoped, loaded and slung. “Neither” wears a brake! They do kick a little.....but “no” ear bleed! These rifles have covered many miles in search of antelope, deer, elk, sheep, moose and bear....even a few backpack trips! memtb

Reactions: HuskyMusky

elktaker

Nov 28, 2015
I have a savage 7mm wsm, 28” barrel with brake, XLR chassis, bipod and nightforce shv. Weighs in at over 12 pounds. I have carried it way to far for its weight.

probably going to pick up a the new savage ultralight.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I don't know how that rifle has 0 kick? at the range??
I have a 22-250 that recoils harder than this gun.

I shoot the 150 grain silvertips and the factory BOSS installed on the gun. I am serious when I tell you that there is next to 0 felt recoil.

memtb

Slugz, Light is wonderful to carry, but getting the rifle too light makes it harder to get stable when the utmost accuracy is desired.! There has been a fairly long discussion about this very topic on the Long Range Hunting forum. The consensus among those folks is, a rifle that is slightly heavy is far superior to one that is too light.....this is my summary of the conversation! memtb

Last edited:

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I agree, I don't really care that my rifle weighs a little more than some of the super ultralites! I tried to convince my wife that I needed a rifle that was a pound or two lighter, and she told me to lose 10 pounds from my gut and I'd be money ahead! Go figure!
Ha! I hate it when they get us with their common sense!

Just weighed my Christensen Ridgline 300wm w/ Vortex Viper PST - 9lbs, 2 oz. If we're counting ounces, I don't hunt with the brake on, that shaves off 3 ounces, so 8lb 15 oz.
I haven't hunted with the gun more than out of a deer stand, so I'm not really sure how well it will carry on a trip that requires actual hiking.. That 26" barrel is LONG.

Reactions: AKaviator

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have long range custom rifles that weight 14 lbs and my lightest backpack rifle weight 7 lbs with scope, Harris bipod and sling.
as far as costs go my heaviest rifle cost $6k as it is a custom rifle. My light weight rifle cost $1600. These days it seems to be the opposite since everyone is getting on the lightweight banwagon.
I think it your rifle is in that 8-10lb range your right there with the majority and I think that’s the best weight. Heavy enough to help with recoil and holding the crosshairs steady but light enough to be able to carry it for miles and doesn't break the bank.

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
Kevin has done 3 rifles for me. You will be pleased with the final product. 2 were light type rifles 300 wsm, 280AI, one not so much 300 RUM. All shoot very well and balance comfortably in the hands.

Reactions: Slugz

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
I
Slugz, Light is wonderful to carry, but getting the rifle too light makes it harder to get stable when the utmost accuracy is desired.! There has been a fairly long discussion about this very topic on the Long Range Hunting forum. The consensus among those folks is, a rifle that is slightly heavy is far superior to one that is too light.....this is my summary of the conversation! memtb
Its a backpack rifle and I dont long range rifle hunt. Its a 400 yard shooter, 280 AI , 168gr bullets, zeroed at 200 yards with a 2-15 42mm scope. I could take a 500 yard poke with it, but I dont rifle hunt like that.

Agree, heavier is better when taking long range shots.