Where U going to hunt this year???

sdhunters

Dec 22, 2018
Eastern South Dakota
Hoping to draw one of my home state elk tags in So. Dakota. 16 yrs and 10yrs pref pts for rifle/archery. Still little chance but getting closer. This wait hangs over my head preventing me from applying elsewhere but we are applying for Arizona elk which is about 1-3% chance so just getting another pref pt is the goal. May apply Wyoming antelope. Drew Wyoming elk last year so will have a wait before getting back there.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Looks like I'm in for a Wyoming deer hunt. I have enough points to draw several different units for elk & deer here in Colorado, but waiting till the deadline for applications to decide what I'm doing here. I should be able to get in several scouting trips before I apply.

Reactions: marcusvdk

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Looks like I'm in for a Wyoming deer hunt. I have enough points to draw several different units for elk & deer here in Colorado, but waiting till the deadline for applications to decide what I'm doing here. I should be able to get in several scouting trips before I apply.
I was thinking you burned your WY points last year when you combined a deer antelope hunt with some California buds.

Alabama

Veteran member
Feb 18, 2013
Sweet Home Alabama
I did......but got invited on a hunt with some guys who all have a lot of points. They said with Wyo's averaging for a group, they would have enough to cover me. What could I say!
It would be rude to not take them up on an offer like that! Is it the same area where you saw the deer last year?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I just got back from my first western hunt of 2020. It was actually a 2019 WY tag for cow elk, but it was good until Jan. 31st. It was supposed to be easy because the early snow brings them down lower on their winter range. Nope. I could see 75 elk from the bunkhouse, but it took a 4 hour stalk through 2 1/2 feet of snow, a 430 yard shot, and an very strenuous pack-out down the mountain. Perfect.
Also plan on a WY deer hut in 2020. Got the points and the time.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Hopefully headed to Wyoming for elk, 3.25 points for our group on a general tag, I like our odds. Already gone cross eyed staring at harvest reports, OnX and google earth. Then hopefully a little luck with New Mexico deer and elk draws for the wife and kids.

Reactions: LCH

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I just got back from my first western hunt of 2020. It was actually a 2019 WY tag for cow elk, but it was good until Jan. 31st. It was supposed to be easy because the early snow brings them down lower on their winter range. Nope. I could see 75 elk from the bunkhouse, but it took a 4 hour stalk through 2 1/2 feet of snow, a 430 yard shot, and an very strenuous pack-out down the mountain. Perfect.
Congrats! Got any pics?

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Congrats! Got any pics?
Sorry, no pics. I did take a couple with my cell phone of the first attempted slide down the mountain. The big old girl plowed up enough snow in front to stop her after 20 yards or so. No problem, I just had to slide down and give her another push. That worked for another 20 yards except she ended up in some brush and I couldn't budge her. So, quartered her out, game bags, large leaf bag, lots of rope, out of daylight, no flashlight, and nudge, slide, repeat, etc. Three hours later I was down the mountain where my friend met me on my snowmobile. It turned out to be the 2nd or 3rd hardest thing I have ever done. As I said, Perfect.

Wyoming Hart

Very Active Member
Oct 10, 2014
Spring Run, PA
I won an Alaskan Dall Sheep hunt at the WSF show for August. I'm adding on a caribou and hopefully grizzly if tag is available. A part of that package was a 4 day precision shooting course at the FTW ranch in Texas. Between the logistics and time with those 2 items, that is all that I will be able to do out of state/non-local this year.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I won an Alaskan Dall Sheep hunt at the WSF show for August. I'm adding on a caribou and hopefully grizzly if tag is available. A part of that package was a 4 day precision shooting course at the FTW ranch in Texas. Between the logistics and time with those 2 items, that is all that I will be able to do out of state/non-local this year.
I'm envious! Have a great time.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Congrats on a late season hunt bro! All that work makes the reward that much sweeter.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
All close to home for me this year. Unless I get super lucky in a draw.

Wife will draw a muzzy deer tag and that should make the summer a lot of fun my girls are 5 and 8 now so they are old enough to go on some of the summer scouting backpacking trips looking forward to that.. Have to see if we can find her a good one to hunt! She will also get a bull tag for a rifle season.

I always try to get a archery deer tag and hope that I can figure out one this year. Thinking of hunting elk w a rifle as it just might work out better but have not hunted for a bull w a rifle in 25 years so will pry end up with archery elk tag close to home. My 77 year old father is thinking of giving up the longbow for a muzzy elk this year and that should be fun as well.

Also wife might do a speed goat hunt here in Co as we have more than enough points but to hunt goats but that is hard as we have to give up scouting for first season rifle bull so decisions to make lol.

Good luck to all in the draws.

Stevo

Mar 2, 2014
Texas
Hopefully i'll draw a Colorado 4th season mule deer tag this year. Will probably put in for Utah elk, but with 1 nonresident tag in several areas, my chances are extremely low.