Phone scope

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Anyone using a phone scope to digiscope using an iPhone 7 Plus? Wondering how/if it works since it’s a little bigger phone.
Thanks for any feedback.

Montana

Veteran member
Nov 3, 2011
Bitterroot Valley, MT.
Yeah. I have it, that exact phone. It does ok. Not great. The zooming in feature gets frustrating. iPhone has a 2 camera system. I only learned this by having the phone scope. When you zoom in it switches cameras and then the phone scope is useless. So you have to fiddle with a little zooming on your phone, then the rest on the spotter. Sounds easy but then you are twisting your phone because it’s attached to the spotter. Not sure that makes sense but bottom line it’s a hassle. Also so big, storage prohibits more use. Tough to throw in a pocket with the case on it.
but all and all. I still use mine. So I guess I would recommend. The are fun to have.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Thank you for the reply. I had a very similar issue by using the novagrade adaptor with vortex spotter. I’m wondering if it would be easier if I used an older phone such as the iPhone 4 or our iPhone 5 when trying to digiscope? I have some old phones that I could basically turn into an iPod and use simply for digiscoping and the pictures will upload over to my current iPhone 7 Plus when I’m in Wi-Fi range or with a hotspot off the phone if I were out in the mountains.
What’s everyone else using out there? What issues are you having or have you ever come using the phone scope and your cell phone? Looking to put together a decent set up to start playing with it the spring so I’m fluent when I head west in September

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I use an adjustable adapter. It’s not perfect and you have to screw around with it but I’ve used it for a few years and haven’t thrown it in the trash so I guess it’s good enough.

It will fit most phones. I have a IPhone 10 max with otter box cover and it fits fine.

There are a few different size so make sure you get the correct one for your scope.

Cell Phone Adapter Mount for Vortex Bushnell Celestron Barska Spotting Scope Big Eyepiece Adapter Mount Work with Binoculars Monocular Spotting Scope Telescope For iPhone 6Plus Samsung HTC LG and More

Reactions: Bonecollector

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I am using it on the LG V20 which also has the 2 cameras. I have one of the original universal phone skopes so I made sure that when I got this phone I put it on the camera that has the better zoom. One thing I was glad that I purchased was a little wireless shutter clicker for cheap off of Ebay. This has made the pictures I take much better since you don't get the shake from pressing the button on the phone. I can't say I have had any problems.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Hmmm. Mixed reviews. Hoping others can chime in. I guess I can always purchase and return if it doesn't work well with the 2-lens camera and go the I-Pod route.

tdub24

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2011
Carlin, NV
I thought about using an old phone exclusively for this but decided I didn't want to carry 2 phones. Either route you decide I think you will like what phone skope allows you to do and the pictures you will get.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I use an adjustable adapter. It’s not perfect and you have to screw around with it but I’ve used it for a few years and haven’t thrown it in the trash so I guess it’s good enough.

It will fit most phones. I have a IPhone 10 max with otter box cover and it fits fine.

There are a few different size so make sure you get the correct one for your scope.

Cell Phone Adapter Mount for Vortex Bushnell Celestron Barska Spotting Scope Big Eyepiece Adapter Mount Work with Binoculars Monocular Spotting Scope Telescope For iPhone 6Plus Samsung HTC LG and More
This is very similar to the much more expensive novagrade. I tried the novagrade on my vortex razor 65 without much success
Was thinking the phone skope may be better option....

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Reviving an old thread. Ordered and just received my phone scope for the iPhone 7 Plus today. Was quickly able to assemble it and attach it to my new spotter. Everything looks perfect and very simple to use. This weekend I’ll get the spotter out and take some pictures and video. Based on what I’m seeing now, I have no doubt it will work flawlessly in the field

Last edited:

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I use the phone scope with an iPhone 8. Seems to work pretty well. Have to fiddle around with it though. I like having the remote shutter as well. Big plus.
Do you use the phone skope camera app or simply use the camera? I downloaded the app, but have yet to try it outdoors on the spotter. Darn job keeps me away until after dark! lol
Also, any issue with keeping the camera in landscape position due to size/weight?
I've seen the shutter remote but have not got that far into it yet. So far I like the system I've put together (tripod, spotter, adapter,)

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Got a chance to put the Swar ATX 85 on the tripod today. WOW what a difference from the Vortex 65. The Vortex served my needs well but I’ve seriously stepped up in image quality.

trying this out in the backyard didn’t give me much area to view due to all the trees, but I did capture the neighbors barn about 500-600 yards away on lowest zoom once I got the phone skope setup. Looking forward to taking it out this spring and stretching the “lens legs” a few miles. 😁
Complete setup weights what I was packing with my former setup but much better clarity.
Should serve my needs well over the next few decades. Not yet sure where I’ll take it this fall, but it’ll definitely be in AK with me in September 2021.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
All the cool kids are doing it!

The top Spotter that Swarovski makes will cost me hundreds of thousands of dollars....lol