Looking to trade some whitetail information

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Hey guys, I am planning on going to Kansas next year for an early season muzzle loader hunt. I will be hunting unit 11/14 if we draw. I am looking for some spots to go scout this January so I can have somewhat of a plan together come September.I am looking for a trophy class whitetail. If you have any knowledge of some areas that you are willing to share, I am more than happy to trade some Intel for central and northern Missouri public land areas that I know about! Thank you

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
would you like GPS coordinates??? somehow I doubt many are gonna give away much info on a spot they know trophy whitetails to frequent.
but I do wish you all the luck and will even give a tip....
scout the local zoo!

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
would you like GPS coordinates??? somehow I doubt many are gonna give away much info on a spot they know trophy whitetails to frequent.
but I do wish you all the luck and will even give a tip....
scout the local zoo!
Did I ask for GPS coordinates? I'm looking for a Kansas resident who is willing to share the same information that I'm willing to share with him here in Missouri. I would check the local zoo if I was looking for a monkey like you kidoggy. Thanks for the helpful reply

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Are you committed to the early muzzleloader season? Are you looking for private ground, or are you sticking to state ground and WIHA's? The deer will be on the beans and alfalfa during that early muzzle loader hunt. Scouting that in January will be tricky. I'd want to know was going to be in beans or alfalfa, then hang cameras on a few of those targeted farms and hope to find a good one.

Reactions: Prerylyon

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
Are you committed to the early muzzleloader season? Are you looking for private ground, or are you sticking to state ground and WIHA's? The deer will be on the beans and alfalfa during that early muzzle loader hunt. Scouting that in January will be tricky. I'd want to know was going to be in beans or alfalfa, then hang cameras on a few of those targeted farms and hope to find a good one.
Yes I am committed to that muzzy tag, it fits into my schedule great with my other trips and I like to spend November in Missouri. I do realize that scouting now will not do much for the September hunt but I plan to return for the gun season with the muzzle loader if unsuccessful early. (perk of this tag)
The plan as of now is to hunt WIHAs and I will probably stay away from most state ground. In my experience these parcels get less pressure and I would like to think that this early season will be less crowded than late October or November on the public. I don't know if trail cams are legal on WIHAs but that would be an option to go back and hang a few cams in august to help aid the scouting efforts.

tdcour

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2013
Central Kansas
I don't know a ton about 11/14 unfortunately. I do know, however, there are a ton of acres of wheat that go to double-crop beans in that area. I'd look for alfalfa that has a good stand and drilled fields to wheat. If the alfalfa has a thick stand, odds are they won't rip it up to put something else out there. Stands typically last 5-7 years here in KS, so good chance the alfalfa will stay if you find it now. On the wheat/beans side, the price and market dictate some of the acres that go from wheat to beans, but I'd say on a low year the area you are looking at will have over half the fields get the wheat harvested and have soybeans put behind them. If you hunt more in the flint hills, I'd look for fingers off some of the bigger, main draws and do some scouting there as well. In my experience, the early season isn't very crowded here... or at least not as crowded. I killed a buck second day of season a couple years ago and no one even knew it was season yet. Good luck finding some good info!

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
I don't know a ton about 11/14 unfortunately. I do know, however, there are a ton of acres of wheat that go to double-crop beans in that area. I'd look for alfalfa that has a good stand and drilled fields to wheat. If the alfalfa has a thick stand, odds are they won't rip it up to put something else out there. Stands typically last 5-7 years here in KS, so good chance the alfalfa will stay if you find it now. On the wheat/beans side, the price and market dictate some of the acres that go from wheat to beans, but I'd say on a low year the area you are looking at will have over half the fields get the wheat harvested and have soybeans put behind them. If you hunt more in the flint hills, I'd look for fingers off some of the bigger, main draws and do some scouting there as well. In my experience, the early season isn't very crowded here... or at least not as crowded. I killed a buck second day of season a couple years ago and no one even knew it was season yet. Good luck finding some good info!
Thank you for that info! I didn't consider that to help forecast what would be in next year and that is a great point. I am thinking about trying some ground in 11 in the early season then moving out to the flint hill area for rifle season if we don't find anything good during September in 11. This will all probably change after our first scouting trip. Where do you live tdcour?

Reactions: tdcour

Team Kabob

Very Active Member
May 9, 2014
I gotcha. Thanks for the info. Would you say there is better deer in 11 or 14?
They both are good units. When you coming in January? Doe season is open that first week of Jan. and you can buy a tag. How far can you shoot your muzzleloader?

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I know 14 got hit hard with EHD in 2012 and is still recovering. I don't know about 11. I'd concentrate on fields for the early season unless you will be running cameras and feeders or food plots. The pasture deer are scattered and with leaves on they are tough to spot. I think patterning a buck on ag fields would be your best bet. You might have to hunt the trail leading to the field to get daylight movement if the weather is hot, but that's a last resort for me. I've only shot 2 bucks during the muzzle loader season and I put a lot of time into patterning them. Unless you have time to pre-scout for a week or so I'd not get my hopes to high. It also depends on your definition of trophy. If a 3yr old 130" buck fits your definition your odds are much better than if you would hold out for a 5+ yr old 150"+ buck.

TN911

Jun 6, 2018
Missouri
They both are good units. When you coming in January? Doe season is open that first week of Jan. and you can buy a tag. How far can you shoot your muzzleloader?
I am coming up January 3rd. I really don't need the meat so I will probably just scout. I can shoot my CVA 150 yards very comfortably. I wouldn't shoot a deer any further tho. Although if I get this tag, I have been thinking about buying the CVA paramount. Rumor has it that it is a 300 yard muzzle loader.

I know 14 got hit hard with EHD in 2012 and is still recovering. I don't know about 11. I'd concentrate on fields for the early season unless you will be running cameras and feeders or food plots. The pasture deer are scattered and with leaves on they are tough to spot. I think patterning a buck on ag fields would be your best bet. You might have to hunt the trail leading to the field to get daylight movement if the weather is hot, but that's a last resort for me. I've only shot 2 bucks during the muzzle loader season and I put a lot of time into patterning them. Unless you have time to pre-scout for a week or so I'd not get my hopes to high. It also depends on your definition of trophy. If a 3yr old 130" buck fits your definition your odds are much better than if you would hold out for a 5+ yr old 150"+ buck.
I will run cameras from January to april, Im hoping to come in the spring and turkey hunt. Then I will reset the cameras and be back for them in September. I agree, I think the ag feilds will be my best bet for the september hunt. I will be holding out for a 150+ buck for the September hunt. If I return for the gun season and am not seeing the class of deer I am looking for I will probably drop my standards. I don't have my hopes too high, I understand how tough it is to kill mature whitetail. I am just very excited for the experience!

Reactions: mcseal2

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
For what it’s worth, I bowhunted many years in unit 14 greenwood county. November 5-15 normally, from dawn to dusk, and the biggest buck I saw was an 8 point that would have been really close to 150”. You’ll have your work cut out for you

Reactions: mcseal2 and TN911