Anyone ever done a "safari-style" hunt in Wyoming?

By "safari-style" I mean having multiple tags for multiple species in an area. My kids are just the right ages that they will all three be eligible for youth hunts together for only a year or two. It sounds like fun to me to make a family trip to Wyoming knowing we could hunt deer, elk, or antelope, whichever we found on a given day. Dollars and cents are going to be an issue, so I'm thinking of doe/cow tags, and "trophy potential" is not really a consideration. Mostly just a family adventure with a good animal numbers and a chance for everyone to have multiple opportunities for success. And lots of steaks in the freezer.

If anyone has done this, how do you get started planning? Not being from Wyoming, I don't have much of a sense of which parts of the state hold more or less of each species. Then, since Wyoming uses different unit boundaries for each species, it's a juggling act to research anything. And then some units have zero antlerless licenses while some have hundreds. Furthermore, antlerless hunts tend to be concentrated around private lands, which makes access an issue. I've looked at the G&F website to read about HMA's and WIA's, but that becomes two more layers to juggle. I'm feeling a little cross-eyed right now. Anybody ever done it?

QQ

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
Public land mixed species hunts can be done but it is difficult to find solid areas holding all three that have seasons open together and have tags that are easily obtained. I have combined antelope with deer on a few occasions - fun hunts. For elk, I usually focus 100% of my time on them. If you had the right piece of private land, it would be much easier to pull off. Plenty of guided options offering them.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I did this last year. My story is posted here on the forum. Shot a cow elk, 2 mule deer doe, and an antelope doe all on tough access public ground. 👍
Tough yes. Doable yes. For everyone no.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Yep...done it numerous times, mostly for deer & antelope. I tend to like to hunt antelope after opening, lees crowds. This year wet hunted the last 4 days of antelope and the first days of deer as the butted up to each other.

Even tho deer units are number different from antelope, if you take a hard look, you'll find that lots of them are very close to the same boundries, just numbered differently.

We usually buy some type 6 tags too. This year 3 of us had 3 buck antelope, e does/fawn antelope and a either sex deer tag. If did a write up and it's posted.

Reactions: DH56

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I tried to get an antelope tag and a mule deer tag. I only drew the mule deer tag and I could have for sure killed a couple damn nice antelope if I had drawn that tag. In hindsight I'm glad I didn't draw both because the deer hunting was a full time job!

I wish I would have applied for a doe antelope tag early on though because they sold out. Hate to draw a doe antelope tag and then not get your intended target tag. Not sure if I could return the doe tag or not. So I didn't draw. It was kinda a last minute thought.

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I tried to do doe antelope and deer last year. I thought I was a lock to get the deer tag but didn't draw so ended up with a doe antelope tag only. I still went, filled the doe tag and then had a family camping trip. Made the most of it but it definitely wasn't how I had it planned.

Reactions: shootbrownelk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I tried to do doe antelope and deer last year. I thought I was a lock to get the deer tag but didn't draw so ended up with a doe antelope tag only. I still went, filled the doe tag and then had a family camping trip. Made the most of it but it definitely wasn't how I had it planned.
Could you have turned the doe tag back in? Just curious for future reference.

Never-mind my question. It doesnt look like they allow that uless you have some pretty extreme circumstances.

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I wouldn't try it just because of the time. As was mentioned if you have a month then go for it but if you only plan on being out there for a week I would concentrate on just one or the other.

Reactions: Prerylyon

Banger

Nov 19, 2012
QQ,
You absolutely can do a safari style hunt in WY with the kids. Especially if you are looking at antlerless tags. Half the fun is the research, and only you know what works for your schedule/budget. If you can take the kids out of school for a week, you should have no trouble having everyone enjoy multiple opportunities.
I'm also from the wet side of Oregon and go on Safari in Wyoming most years.:)

88man

Feb 20, 2014
Pa
sorta done in but it was in two states on one trip we killed antelope/deer/elk and a few times just two of the 3 species.

jtm307

Jan 12, 2016
Wyoming
You can do it. I took my kid on a camping/hunting trip for her birthday this year. We harvested an elk, an antelope, a duck, and two trout in two days. Her favorite part was eating the antelope tenderloins on the tailgate immediately after the harvest with some of her friends (my hunting buddy's kids).

I know the area very well, and neither of the big game tags were guaranteed draws. It'll take some research and luck. In WY, any successful mixed bag hunt will probably include antelope.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
It is doable; lots of good perspectives have been shared to consider. For me-and I doubt I'm alone in that regard-with my hectic schedule, 7 days is about all I can budget in a hunt for the forseeable future. Subtract a day on either side for travel, and its down to 5 days afield. If its a 'new to you area' or an '*' unit or tag with other stipulations (and it often is for me with low points or leftover doe tags), that adds more complexity and strategizing to seal the deal. Also, often I'm hunting alone, so just one set of eyes to glass, one set of shoulders to carry out meat. Those challenges can be fun and worthwhile to a point, but they multiply with each tag, and mess with my mind. On the mental side, I like to have just one big game tag/trip: it helps me focus on really learning the unit and immersing myself in the hunt. When/if I'm retired and can spend more than a week hunting, then I will go for more than one.

I exclude fishing and small game; after filling a tag maybe early, or being snookered by the big game, an afternoon hunting grouse or casting a fly can help a guy regroup and relax. I had my 1st experience with jack rabbits last month; boy are they are funny looking and fun to hunt!

Last edited:
Reactions: LCH

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
You mentioned 3 kids with the possibility of having 2 to 3 tags each. How long would you be able to hunt? I'm assuming that a youth permit must be accompanied by an adult; how many adults would be available?