Unit 43 float hunt

Ryan Hughes

Apr 10, 2015
Santa rosa, CA
Hey folks. Ryan from NorCal here. Thanks for taking a look at my post/question!
A few of my buddies and I had always dreamt of doing a river float hunt, because we are fairly experienced rafters and anglers.
Recently we came across the idea of hunting in Oregon's unit 43 for mule deer, on either the john day or the deschutes. We bought our preference points in preperation to apply for next season, though there is still much research and homework to do on the unit.
We have two 13 foot white water rafts with full frames, and we are experienced rowers. We also have plenty of experience hunting out of state and in the backcountry.
I am looking for any information or resources that may be helpful in hunting this unit -- more so logistically. I am wondering what the flows of those rivers are like during the seasons? What river is more/less accessible to boaters? What some of the restrictions or advantages are for this hunt? And how many days should we expect to spend on each of these rivers? Are there any Rapids that we should keep in mind or are these sections relatively mild?

Our main goal is to have a fantastic time on a beautiful river, and have a trip that very few hunters get the chance to do. We are not concerned with trophy animals or filling every single tag we have in our pockets. But of course, thatd be the icing on the cake.
Any information on this unit would be incredibly appreciated. So excited to experience the Oregon backcountry, especially on a float. Thanks!
-Ryan

Reactions: sneakypete

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
The John Day typically has pretty low flows during deer season. Sometimes it's low enough to be a real pain to float. The Deschutes will have plenty of water, but does have some pretty technical water in areas. I'm not an experienced boater, but have spent a fair amount of time on both rivers. Both rivers have nice pockets of public land (mostly BLM), but as you probably know, there is also a lot of private to work around. PM me with questions if you'd like.

Reactions: Ryan Hughes

Ryan Hughes

Apr 10, 2015
Santa rosa, CA
The John Day typically has pretty low flows during deer season. Sometimes it's low enough to be a real pain to float. The Deschutes will have plenty of water, but does have some pretty technical water in areas. I'm not an experienced boater, but have spent a fair amount of time on both rivers. Both rivers have nice pockets of public land (mostly BLM), but as you probably know, there is also a lot of private to work around. PM me with questions if you'd like.
Thank you very much. The flows will probably be very influential on where we hunt. I appreciate the info!

Ryan Hughes

Apr 10, 2015
Santa rosa, CA
we just floated the john day this year if you have any specific questions maybe I can help? the water was on the rise when we hunted the first season for sheep which is right after deer season.
That's great news. And I hope you guys were very successful!
How long was your float?

Ryan Hughes

Apr 10, 2015
Santa rosa, CA
You'll want to join Ifish and scour sheep hunting threads. Ask the sheep hunters what they saw, nobody cares about sharing information in that area. Don't worry about having to portage or haul out, good flows year-round. Bring fishing gear, the fishing can be incredible. Sounds like you have realistic goals already, so good luck!
Thank you very much for the tips! I am excited to explore this unit and take in all it has to offer. Thanks!

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
we floated 4 days. killed a ram 3rd day. floated the way out afterwards. lots of bass around. seen a few deer no bucks though. we floated preseason from Clarno to 30mi on a weekend. 4 days from 30mi to cottonwood. cfm was 380 when we started our trip

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
ryan

a lot of your logistics questions can be answered by a shuttle service. If you have ran many multi day rivers, there is usally a shuttle service. Those folks typically know what flows you will be dealing with at the time of your planned float. Also, make sure you do not need a permit to get on the river. Depending on where at on the Deschutes you probably need a permit. And just like hunting, there is an application period. if it is a permitted river, check on the requirements, ie hauling out your feces, how you do dishes, ect

Ryan Hughes

Apr 10, 2015
Santa rosa, CA
ryan

a lot of your logistics questions can be answered by a shuttle service. If you have ran many multi day rivers, there is usally a shuttle service. Those folks typically know what flows you will be dealing with at the time of your planned float. Also, make sure you do not need a permit to get on the river. Depending on where at on the Deschutes you probably need a permit. And just like hunting, there is an application period. if it is a permitted river, check on the requirements, ie hauling out your feces, how you do dishes, ect
Thanks very much. This is great stuff to keep in mind. So far we have decided to hunt the john day. Not sure if we will hunt the east or west side. I have rafting experience however I have not done any trips as long as this one. Nor have i hunted off my boat. We will look into shuttle services in the area because that maybe the best option, however we may just run our own shuttle as well. Thanks again.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
Flows on the deschutes is enough to float year round. The John Day will only have about 100cfm in it during deer season. You will be dragging your raft many miles unless a big rain storm arrives early. Deschutes is a good trout fishing with a fly rod the John Day is good bass fishing.

Reactions: Ryan Hughes

Ryan Hughes

Apr 10, 2015
Santa rosa, CA
Hey guys. Just got off the john day river a few days ago. Between 3 tags, me and my buddies filled one of them. In addition, we shot a ton of upland birds and caught about 100 smallies! We probably saw about 300+ sheep as well. It was an amazing trip with a ton of great twists and turns. I have a ton of information and knowledge that I picked up along the way while doing this hunt, so if anyone would like to pick my brain in the future, please feel free to call or text me on my cell! 7073385043
Thank you for all the help

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Hey guys. Just got off the john day river a few days ago. Between 3 tags, me and my buddies filled one of them. In addition, we shot a ton of upland birds and caught about 100 smallies! We probably saw about 300+ sheep as well. It was an amazing trip with a ton of great twists and turns. I have a ton of information and knowledge that I picked up along the way while doing this hunt, so if anyone would like to pick my brain in the future, please feel free to call or text me on my cell! 7073385043
Thank you for all the help
Post up a few pictures!!!! Congrats on a great trip!