Bringing Meat Home to the US

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
OK, so I am going to be lazy and ask on here instead of doing a lot of research like I usually do.

What are the regulations on bringing meat back into the US from Canada such as a moose?

I'm starting to get that itch again to head somewhere and shoot me a new critter.

dirtclod Az.

Veteran member
Jan 26, 2018
Arizona
H#LL your the hunting Guru.I would say don't ask don't tell.Unless you have a huge Rack in the back of your Pickmup'...Hide it in your pants,they'll never know.:cool:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Kind of hard to hide that much meat in a pair of trousers.

I have a friend that is up in British Colombia right now chasing moose and I'm getting the itch.

I would also plan on driving up so that I can bring it all home and not just a hundred pounds on the airline.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
Kind of hard to hide that much meat in a pair of trousers.

I have a friend that is up in British Colombia right now chasing moose and I'm getting the itch.

I would also plan on driving up so that I can bring it all home and not just a hundred pounds on the airline.
heck I do it every day.:rolleyes:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My Dad and I went to BC Moose hunting in the 80's. When we re-entered the US, the customs person just checked our tags and firearms records (what we brought into Canada from US) and that was it. I'm sure it's way different today.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've been driving thru Canada a couple times, round trip for a few years. I've never have an issue with bringing game meat with me. They seem more concerned with produce.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
The funny thing was that when I came home from BC from my grizzly hunt in 2012 I almost flew through customs but had to do the paperwork for my black bear skin. The officer didn't even want to check anything he just asked me if it had all the meat off of the skull and he didn't bother with the skin. On my rifle he just asked me if it was the one on my 4457 and I said yes and that was as far as that went.

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Been to BC twice 2015 & 2018, both times my moose meat was cut and wrapped and frozen. Coming into the US, last year I had to fill paperwork out . It was more of a pain than a problem. You'll spend more time crossing into Canada than coming back into the US.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That time I went up to BC and notified the Canadian customs that I had a firearm they did everything but tear my truck apart. They dumped out all of my clothes and equipment for the hunt and then just threw them back into the bags, I had to repack them before we loaded them onto the horses. I was stuck at that crossing for about 3 hours before they cut me loose for some stupid reason.

And this was before Colorado legalized MJ>

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
Big mistake, you should of gotten a Canadian firearms permit and had it filled out, except for signing it. You do that in the presences of the Mountie. If you're using an outfitter they'll provide it for you.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
You're right Pete. I brought a couple rifles through this month, had them filled out but unsigned. The boarder guys didn't even ask to look at the guns. I paid the $25 and was on my way in a few minutes. I had a couple extra copies of the form in case America wanted to see them but they didn't.

hunter25

Very Active Member
Sep 8, 2016
Glenwood Springs, Colorado
I've crossed 2 times with firearms. Once driving once flying. Both times took twice as long getting back in. I did have Canadian forms ready both times.
When driving into Canada through Minnesota they didn't check anything. Just had me come inside for a few minutes. But it was 30 below zero at the time. Coming back into Minnesota everything was checked.
Have the U.S. customs form 4457 ready coming back helps make things easier also.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Its no big deal. They make you declare it at the border...

Went into Canada hunting 6 times and brought meat back 3 times.

When you pull up to the booth just tell them you have some moose meat to declare. I purposely cross at night so the Fish and wildlife officer isn't there...It makes things very fast. lol

I never crossed with firearms....Only with Bows. However they did lean across and ask my wife "What kind of ammunition she used in her bow" lol She was already nervous because it was her first time crossing into Canada... she said "uuuuh...arrows?" He said OK. Have fun. and we drive away lol

Those border people are something else.

Dont lie to them and try not to look guilty or they will do a bag dump on your entire truck.... and then YOU put it back in the bags lol...

Last edited:

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I already had the permit filled out and waiting to be signed and from what I had read I expected to get through quick. Then when I was leaving the officer told me that I should keep my rifle and ammo in the back of the truck. I did have it in a case behind the seat of a regular cab pickup where I had to get out of the truck to access it. And since it was raining I had my bags inside of the cab to keep them dry.

I don't know if the officer didn't like hunters or what but it even surprised my outfitter when I told him about the experience.

It took me less time to get into South Africa where all firearms and ammo is regulated.

CrimsonArrow

Very Active Member
Feb 21, 2011
Minnesota
All the Canadiens care about is that you have the proper export permit. The U.S. customs will check your documentation, and depending on which state you're entering, perhaps brain or spinal cord tissue, per new cwd regulations

sneakypete

Veteran member
Aug 9, 2011
Oakdale Ca.
I've never been thru a Canadian customs coming back into the US. I had export permits for the moose because it was my sons and I was the transporter and for wolf hides! Here's another tip, if you're traveling to Canada with another person and taking guns and you are driving. Here's the kicker if the other person is flying home fill out the firearms permit as both guns are yours! That way the other person doesn't have to fly with a gun. It happened to my son and I last year my son drove up and flew home, after talking to our outfitter he told us if I would had filled out the paperwork for his gun in my name he could have flown home without his gun!