Work Trip to Oklahoma - fishing?

Hilltop

Veteran member
Feb 25, 2014
Eastern Nebraska
I'm going to be near OKC at the end of next week and was hoping to get some fishing in during the evenings after work and possibly Saturday during the day before I head back North. Anyone have advice to offer? I am hoping to get into some early spawn crappie but I'm open to anything un guided.
Thanks,
Dave

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
No fishing advice but if you are looking for dinner the bricktown area is really neat. Some decent restaurants like Toby Keith's and Mickey Mantle's. Tapwerks had over 100 taps of beer to choose from but google says its closed. They had a double chocolate stout that I have fond memories of. That would have been my recommendation for a beer.

El Serio

Feb 1, 2018
My best advice is to talk to locals. Some of them will know what to use and where to go. One I was in Iowa for training with a couple of my co-workers. One of them got a lead on a promising lake on the flight in. We asked our instructor about it and he told us it was a pretty good place. After work my co-workers and I headed to the lake and it was slow bit we caught a few from shore. After an hour or two a truck with a boat showed up. It was our instructor, he knew the lake well. We caught about 70 crappie that night and similar numbers the next two nights. We had a great time.

Most of the folks I have worked with in OK have been friendly and many seemed interested in fishing and I don't think it would be too hard to find someone to at least point you in the right direction. I got some great advice about a specific lake in East Oklahoma that I was trying to fish once from a guy in Walmart fishing aisle.

LeeSikvel

Sep 7, 2022
It's been a year but, if you're targeting early spawn crappie, Lake Thunderbird might be your best bet. I've read that it's a popular spot for anglers looking for a variety of fish, including crappie. Plus, the scenery there is supposed to be stunning, which adds to the whole experience.
When I travel for work, I always try to make time for some local activities, like fishing or exploring the outdoors. It's a great way to connect with the area and de-stress after a long day of meetings or work.
Speaking of travel, when I explored Europe last time, I stumbled upon this handy German platform called dbfahrplan.com. It made booking train tickets a breeze and helped me navigate the train system with ease.

Last edited: