Off the Grid Question

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a question for all of you about solar power. Our rifle range has no electrical power. We do have an electric gate with a card reader that works of of a solar cell and battery. We want to to put a security system, possibly Wifi and computer hookup and some security lighting. The closest contractor for this type of work is 60 miles away. I don't have any experience with this type of installation, so I am looking for advice. Where should I start and what type of system should we get (for any of you that have experience with this). Our local power company want 40 to 50 thousand dollars to run power to the range. Then we have to get a contractor to set it all up. Too expensive for us!

I did some research on adding solar power to my home and we have several contractors in the area that do this, but none of them wanted to take this job on.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
i would check with a RV dealer and since you don't have power available keep it on a 12 volt DC system.

You can get chargers for computers that work off of 12 volts or you can run a 12 volt DC to 110 volt AC inverter.

For power I would look at a a minimum of 4 golf cart 6 volt batteries with two wired in series for 12 volts and then those connected in parallel to give you higher amps. Then for lights perhaps some 12 volt led light bars on poles or what you might have as far as a place that you can mount them.

One problem that you might have is the WiFi for the computer and security system that will work where you can monitor it from a distance. At the minimum you would need some kind of cell phone interface or getting a subscription with a satellite internet.

Just a couple of things for you to look at.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I did a search and found this system. There are cheaper and more expensive systems on their site.

This one or a similar one would take care of power but you would still need to figure out the WiFi and security

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Lou (Louis)

Aug 10, 2023
NorCal
I am sure that you have thought of this already, but have you considered running it on a generator? Maybe even the backup household type?
Should be do-able, as I assume you only need power there when you are using it....

Reactions: mallardsx2

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One problem that I have heard on using a generator is that unless you have a very secure location and building to place it into they tend to walk away. Our local shooting club purchased one a number of years ago and it was gone within a months time.

Now if it is large enough to be required to bolt it down to a cement pad then it may stay in place.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
What were your plans for the lights, security or nighttime shoots/activities?

I just saw some solar powered floods with motion detectors on TV during the football game that may work for security